iMac G5 or Mini w/Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tjwett, Jul 28, 2005.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Moving into a new place and I've recently gone from heavy audio work to lots of consulting, AppleScripting and FileMaker Pro. So I'm selling my dual 1.8 G5, bulky CRT and huge desk to consolidate my setup and make some space. I'll need to buy immediately so waiting around for the Intels is not an option. I'm going to be grabbing an iMac G5 20" 2Ghz or a Mini with a 20" Cinema Display, maybe a 23" if I feel like treating myself extra nice.

I know as far as power goes there is no contest, the iMac spanks the Mini in every department. The only reason I'm debating is that when the Intel stuff starts to appear the Mini will probably be a fast little computer and I'll want to grab one right away. My dreams of dual booting OS X and BeOS will finally come true and I'll be able to throw the new Mini on the desk and the old one can go in the living room and be my new stereo/Tivo/thing.

If I go with the iMac however, I'm kind of married to it for a while and eventually selling will mean a bigger loss and will leave me with no display. The Minis are so cheap I'll have no problem running out and buying another. I wouldn't want to have to buy a new iMac every year or so though.

As I said, my needs these days are basic. FileMaker, AppleScript, Automator and Quickbooks are where I spend most of my time lately. Along with running Apple Remote Desktop all day. While I love the G5, I don't feel like having one does much for the work I'm doing. Your thoughts?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iMacs keep a relatively good price on the used market so how about you get one now, enjoy the power, and then sell it when the Intel minis come out and get the screen/mini combo then?

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

When I read the title of the post, I hurried to click so I could tell you to definitely go with the iMac.

BUT you're justification for buying a mini seems nearly perfect! I had never conceptualized taking advantage of it as something completely modular... Upon giving some thought to it though, I appreciate the idea of the mini (and the genius of apple's designers) infinitely more.

I think you hit the performance issue right on, so I guess I'll just affirm everything you were already thinking.

Go with the mini and cinema display, get an even sweeter one early next year!! :) :D :D

4. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

this is true. then again, so is this...

thanks for the input folks. in the end, i'll probably just end up with what ever my girlfriend thinks looks best in the room anyway. :rolleyes: :p

5. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I'd go with the mini/ACD combo with the iMac you will be stuck with it and won't have the ability to do the stereo setup you mentioned. Also when the intel Mini's come out you can keep the sweet 20" or 23" monitor to use with it. And still have the ther mini for somewhere else in the house!