iMac G5 or New PowerBook 15"???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by myapple, Feb 15, 2005.

1. myapple macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2005
    i am from Poland and my English skills are not perfect so sorry on the same begining:p

i wanna buy one of these super computers(iMac, PB) in summer but i am not sure witch i should choose:(

i will use computer espesialy at home but some times i will wanna use it to do some amateur movies, Mp3, web pages ect.

i personaly prefer PB for its mobility but iMac is more powerfull:D

u are proffesionals so please give me some general opinion about this:)

greetigs from Poland 4 all mac users:)
  2. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    1. If you think you'll want to use your computer "all over your house" or "all over town" you'll want to get the PB.

2. If you can get away with using a desktop and don't need the mobility very often, get the iMac G5. The iMac G5 is faster.

If you'll be doing any big time movie editing, the iMac G5 will be faster to an even greater degree.

I know the claims on the Apple site will probably be at the highest end they can be, but the results are probably pretty close to what you'll notice at home. Either way, you may want to check other sites for more specs, but here's what Apple's G5 page says:
    Also, for games: [​IMG]
  3. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Oh, by the way, three more thoughts...

1. The iMac is also less money. ($1299 for the iMac vs. $1999 for the PB)

2. If you're going to be waiting until summer to get your computer, the iMacs may get updated and be even faster by then.

3. The iMac monitor is quite a bit larger. It's a 17" instead of a 15" on the PB. That CAN make a very nice difference. Now that I've had a 17" for 2 years, I'll never go back to anything smaller. ;)
  4. Kreamy macrumors member

Jan 2, 2005
    I think all the points have been made really.

Performance was never a real issue for most of the stuff that i do (iPhoto, iTunes, Pages, Keynote, Adium etc.) but i just loved to sit down in starbucks and surf around; naturally i went portable.

The question is, if you already have a desktop, get a laptop. If you have a laptop, update ur desktop. Most reasonable really.
  5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Here are the BareFeats test results. Follow the links in the middle of the page for more game-specific comparisons and a page specifically devoted to Apple's marketing and the charts posted above.

Some of the results are surprising, but yeah, PB for portability, iMac for more power.
  6. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    That's a great link. Thanks for posting it. Those kind of independent results are exactly what I was talking about.