iMac G5 or PowerMac G5 (when updates are announced)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amnesiac1984, Apr 20, 2005.

1. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay So I'm in the market for a new desktop. I do audio production and some video editting but am on a tight budget. I currently have a Dual 1ghz MDD Powermac.

Now assuming new G5s are released with the rumoured specs, do I get a 20" iMac with its amazingly big screen or do I get a G5 Dual 2.0 with a cheap screen to upgrade later? Thing is I really like iMac and it would make moving it between home and UNI a lot easier than a tower and seperate monitor. What I want to know is will the iMac be much faster than my Dual 1gig? And will I be bale to load more plugins in Ableton Live for example? Or to get a decent speed increase will I need to go for the Dual 2.0? I need speed but it is an iMac not fast enough? Does anyone have any experience comparing an iMac G5 to a dual G4? The powermac would be more future proof but with the iMacs big screen would it not be a reselleable in a couple of years at a reasoneable price?

Basically I really want an iMac but wanna know if it will be powerful enough (if it doesn't get a 128mb VRAM in the next update I may reconsider).
  2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I think you will need the PowerMac for a decent speed increase, but it really depends on the application. If it is takes advantage of dual processors you will see little improvement with an iMac, if not, much improvement.