Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montypython

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2005
I was wondering if there was anyone who has developed their own fix or come across a fix for the iMac G5 (rev a or b) overheating problem. It seems there are a lot of reports out there on this, but no one has thought about a fix yet. Any help will be great.

paulie

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2003
Saskatoon, Canada
Overheating?

I have a new 20" iMac G5 2Ghz. I run it pretty hard (play a DVD while playing WoW, while making iMovie process titles) and the only thing that happens is that the fan comes on so I can hear it.

Rock solid performer this beast is.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Never had an overheating problem. On wednesday I'll be using it in Phoenix, if it doesn't overheat there. So we'll see how that goes, but if it doesn't overheat there I can't think of many places that are hotter in summer. Maybe Death Valley.

montypython

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2005
I am debating between the 15' PowerBook G4 and the iMac G5 for video editing and web program development. I was all set to get the G5, but then found these isolated instances and wanted to make sure that I didn't get into something that I would regret. So for now I am stalled in my decision making process and was hoping that there was some fix that I could make as soon as I got it that would help my iMac from not overheating.

Thanks Everyone.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Well my fans are almost constantly whining up...it is really annoying, i have only really noticed this since Tiger... :(

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
vouder17 said:
Well my fans are almost constantly whining up...it is really annoying, i have only really noticed this since Tiger... :(

heh, i know what you mean. every time i'm in the same room as this thing i feel like banging my head on the wall!

i'm just going to try phoning apple up and kicking up a fuss until i get the problem escalated and they agree to replace the unit.

monty, if you're thinking of getting an imac g5, remember that they've just been updated - apple tend to fix these annoying products when rev.2 comes out, so maybe you'll be ok with an imac g5.. :)

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
This sound bad

My friend who I got to switch to a Mac (iMac G5 17") in October, called me today to say that his machine does the same. In the console it displays a message about overheating.

I work as an Apple Authorised Technician, and in my job today, we had an iMac G5 with the same fault. It was a 20" model.

Since the iMacs came out in last year I have fixed loads and loads of iMac G5 faults but have never come across this problem.

Now im worried!!!

montypython

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2005
alexprice said:
Since the iMacs came out in last year I have fixed loads and loads of iMac G5 faults but have never come across this problem.

Now im worried!!!

What are the major problems you have found and how often are you seeing them?

If you were in the market for a computer would you get the iMac G5.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I just got my 17" 2Ghz yesterday. At first the fans were driving me crazy. But I found, that if you change the processor performance from Highest to Automatic, it completely fixes the problem. Before my fans were blasting just surfing the web. Now I can do that and its whisper quiet.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
killuminati said:
I just got my 17" 2Ghz yesterday. At first the fans were driving me crazy. But I found, that if you change the processor performance from Highest to Automatic, it completely fixes the problem. Before my fans were blasting just surfing the web. Now I can do that and its whisper quiet.

Yes, switching the processor performance to 'high' causes a constant whine of the fan and high temperatures. However, in 'automatic' mode everything runs silent and at ambient temperatures.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
alexprice said:
...Since the iMacs came out in last year I have fixed loads and loads of iMac G5 faults but have never come across this problem....

if you havent encountered this problem before then thatt would indicate it's a pretty rare problem.....I don't remember reading about "overheating" here on these boards either and if it was a commonm problem you can be sure it would be the topic of many threads asking for help

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
asif786 said:
heh, i know what you mean. every time i'm in the same room as this thing i feel like banging my head on the wall!

i'm just going to try phoning apple up and kicking up a fuss until i get the problem escalated and they agree to replace the unit.

monty, if you're thinking of getting an imac g5, remember that they've just been updated - apple tend to fix these annoying products when rev.2 comes out, so maybe you'll be ok with an imac g5.. :)

This is a good idea...Maybe i should do the same. Maybe they can change it with a Rev B :eek: :D :D :D

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
There is something that will spins the fans down to where they're supposed to be. What happens is that the iMac gets really hot and so the fans kick up quite a bit, but when the iMac cools off, the fans don't spin back down to where they were when you first used it. So even when its running at normal temps, it seems loud.

Here's what to do:

1. Reboot your iMac G5 and press and hold Apple+Option+O+F until it says on the screen to release those buttons. You're now in the Open Firmware.

2. Type in the following EXACTLY as typed:

reset-nvram (press return after typing that)

3. Then type in reset-all (press return after typing that) and you're iMac will restart.

4. Let your iMac boot all the way up and then shut it off.

5. Unplug it and then take the back off to get access to the logicboard.

6. Near the center of the logicboard you'll see 2 buttons. Press the lower of the 2 buttons ONLY ONCE!!!

Now if you have to ask what the logicboard is, then you shouldn't be doing this.

I'm not responsible for screwing up your iMac!!!!!

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Xtremehkr said:
Never had an overheating problem. On wednesday I'll be using it in Phoenix, if it doesn't overheat there. So we'll see how that goes, but if it doesn't overheat there I can't think of many places that are hotter in summer. Maybe Death Valley.

What, are you using it outside?

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
killuminati said:

That's good but does it affect performance :confused: Well a bit but how much ;)

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
I have mine set to auto and it's very fast. I don't notice any difference during normal use like browsing, iTunes, etc. For intense things I switch to highest.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Etrain said:
I have mine set to auto and it's very fast. I don't notice any difference during normal use like browsing, iTunes, etc. For intense things I switch to highest.

Well can you please say what intense is......PS, games or :confused:

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
montypython said:
What are the major problems you have found and how often are you seeing them?

If you were in the market for a computer would you get the iMac G5.

20" Invertors failing producing a half lit screen

17" Noisey PSU's

20" Middle screw to remove back cover turns forever leaving the back stuck on

17" & 20" models very fussy about ram

17" & 20" models with noisey fans

17" & 20" models lacking power

These are the common issues that I see most, personally I wouldn't buy one. Its too early to comment on the Rev.B's

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
alexprice said:
20" Invertors failing producing a half lit screen

17" Noisey PSU's

20" Middle screw to remove back cover turns forever leaving the back stuck on

17" & 20" models very fussy about ram

17" & 20" models with noisey fans

17" & 20" models lacking power

These are the common issues that I see most, personally I wouldn't buy one. Its too early to comment on the Rev.B's

Ok it isnt that bad. i am very happy with my iMac. The only annoying thing that i really have is that the fans whirl up quite often. But this has been a problem that has only started since Tiger. I truly believe that Tiger actually still needs a bit of work. Later this week i am gonna re-install tiger and see if it fixes the problems....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.