iMac G5 owners - Front Row remote functions?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andysmith, Dec 14, 2005.

1. andysmith macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if you can use the Front Row remote to control iTunes, without entering Front Row? I sometimes find I want to quickly pause/play/skip tracks in iTunes, but without Cmd-Tabbing to iTunes and back to my work.

2. Cossax macrumors newbie

You could just use SizzlingKeys for iTunes, it allows you to assign keys to play/pause, search for songs, rate etc. and could cut the use of the remote out entirely.

3. andysmith thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't got any spare keys to map to it, though - I've assigned them to other things, and most of its features clash with Quicksilver.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

That's one of the reasons why I decided to get a logitech keyboard and mouse for my iMac instead of using the Apple ones. They have extra buttons that control itunes that don't require you to have itunes as the top program.

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

How about one of those iTunes Menu Bar widgets or Dashboard widgets or floating desktop widgets?

6. adam-uk macrumors member

adam-uk

yeah you can use the iMac remote to control iTunes aswell, and DVD Player....anything that Front Row utilises, it can control - in my experience anyway

7. andysmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it's the one thing I miss about my PC's keyboard. It was very handy to have media buttons at the top to control iTunes.
    I prefer the Apple keyboard from the feel of the keys, though, so I'll be sticking with one of those.
    I'd thought about the menubar option, but I haven't really got enough space - I have too many icons as it is:

[​IMG]