iMac G5 performance

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Daveway, Sep 6, 2004.

1. macrumors 68040

Daveway

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the new iMac G5 will stack up against the competition? I think the 1.6ghz G5 is about on par with a 2.8ghz P4. What do you all think?

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

4. macrumors 603

gekko513

The links are good and the discussions in there bring up many good points about the difficulties of comparing a Mac to a P4 PC.

But, if I should guess, I would guess that an iMac G5@1.6GHz would be as speedy as a PC with a 2.5-3.0GHz P4 on applications that are properly optimized for both architectures.

On almost all games except maybe a few the iMac would probably be more similar to a 2.0-2.5GHz P4 with the same graphics card. The P4 has a triple advantage on games. The game code is always optimized for P4/AMD, Direct X development has gotten more resources than OpenGL development and OpenGL drivers for the different gpu's themselves has been optimized more for the P4/AMD/Windows environment.

Hopefully, game development for OpenGL, development of the OpenGL standard itself and optimization of OpenGL drivers for gpu's for Mac OS X will all see an increase when the Mac platform is more recognized as a profitable game market.