iMac G5 Power Supply

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by qgriffith, Feb 10, 2006.

1. qgriffith macrumors newbie

So last night I arrive home and notice my year old iMac G5 is no longer on. After some investigating it appears the power supply has died. Opening up the case there was char on the back cover. I also went though the diagnostics step located at Apples support page, and following their steps, the machine reports back a bad power supply. Doing some googling I noticed my model of G5 has a known issue with power supplies blowing up. Even on Apples own support forum area there are pages of people with this issue. Lucky for them though they where still under warranty or purchased Apple Care. Unlucky for me I did not. The customer service people I have spoken to are trying to say this is not a known problem and they have no records of other customers having their power supply blow up. Odd since Engadget, and their own forums list this as a known issue. They want to charge me $150 dollars for a new power supply to ship it to me. That is an insane amount of money for a new power supply. Does anyone know where I can purchase a power supply for my G5 with out going through Apple? I am also surprised the customer support people will not let me talk to a supervisor. They say their policy is that you can not talk to supervisors. Odd indeed. What makes it worse is, a week ago I just purchased a brand new G4 ibook and I am also a proud owner of a fifth generation ipod that is only a month old. So I have spent a lot of money on Apple hard ware. With the kind of support they offer I don't think I will be buying anything from them again. A power supply should last more then a year, especially one that cost $150.

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I wasn't aware of that. I have a iMac G5 about a year and a quarter old. But when i called apple some time back about replacing a lost iTunes certificate they let us talk to a supervisor, but I have bought alot more from apple than you have so that might be a factor. I had to buy a new charger for my powerbook from apple and it was $80. But, last summer, i purchased a cheaper one from Griffin (I think) and 2 weeks after buying it, the pin on the charger broke off and got stuck inside of the computer. Worst part is, the nearest apple store was a couple hundred miles away. I ended up getting it out (without sticking anything in it). The point is, don't take the cheap option when buying apple products. Either buy the apple one, buy a new computer (dont think you want to do that) or face problems down the road.

3. qgriffith thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone in another forum found this http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/ Which my Mac is covered by. Odd Apple Support could not tell me this, and told me there was no issues. Now that I have directed their support staff to this URL they have changed their opinion and are going to cover the cost.