iMac G5 (pre-iSight) - what kind of case screws?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by admanimal, Feb 5, 2006.

1. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    Does anyone know exactly what type of screws the pre-iSight iMac G5 uses in the bottom of the case (the three captive screws)? The head of the middle screw was stripped off during a repair at the Apple Store, and I would like to replace it because not having the case properly secured causes a little annoying vibration if the fans are running fast enough. (I'm not just going to take it back to the store because its an hour away, and its not worth lugging it out there just for this).

Anyway, if anyone knows what kind of screws these are (and how to de-captivate them), please let me know!
  2. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    I have taken them off many times, but can't check at the moment as mine is in for repairs -Rev B. I *think* they are just flat head screws.
  3. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    That only halves the possibilities. To find some himself to buy, he needs to know the length, the diameter, but most importantly the pitch. I doubt it would be a simly metric thread like 3mm x 0.6mm pitch. Rest assured it something UNF/UNC with a million fractions :D
  4. admanimal thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    How difficult is it to remove them? It looks like removing the middle one (the one that is broken on mine) requires removing the power supply first because there is a tiny nut that needs to be unscrewed too.