Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janie 1268

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2016
Cardiff
Hi, I bought a second hand G5 imac 1.8ghz, it worked perfect for a few days, I was really impressed, then it wouldn't go past the apple icon, I eventually got on to some writing which said code=00000007, can anyone help me, I can't afford to buy a new one at the moment, thank you

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You need either Tiger or Leopard on an iMac G5. You can buy one or burn one using images available here.

Capacitor failure is common on iMac G5s, especially the earlier non-iSight models. It can cause various issues, including getting stuck at the Apple logo. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual cause of your issue. But booting from an install disk would eliminate any hard drive or OS problems.

There are a couple more things you can try, like single user mode and resetting the PRAM/PMU.

Janie 1268

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2016
Cardiff
Thank you, I've tried that but it didn't do anything, I will try and download the ones you suggested thank you very much for your help x

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It may well be a glitch on the hard drive. When you reinstall the OS, select Utilities/Disk Utility and erase the hard drive first - click security options and select Zero Out Data - this will take a while but it improves the chances of isolating any bad areas on the hard drive prior to the OS install.

Picture 1.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.