iMac G5 Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMacZealot, May 4, 2005.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm very proud to say that I (hopefully) will get the new iMac this weekend. I have a few questions:

1) I am going to The Apple Store tomorrow to pick it up, if I can get the educational discount. I talked to a guy before saying how they can check if I'm registered with the school and give me the discount. Is this true? Will I need my school ID? I have ordered software online before with the discount.
    2) I need to transfer several gigabytes (about seven or eight) gigabytes of data from my old Mac to my new one. I have the following equipment:
    CD-RW drive on the old iMac G3, iPod 4GB, Backup application from .Mac, iDisk with 235 MB, SuperDrive on future iMac, and I was wondering if I could transfer data through my Airport Express network.
    3) Is there an option on the new Rev. 2 to get Final Cut Express preinstalled?
    4) If I buy it at the Apple Store here in Denver tomorrow, will they be in stock? More importantly, will they have Rev. 2 17" Superdrive iMacs there?

Thank you very much for your help.
  2. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    1) They will check at the store, but there are several ways you can prove it. You can bring a school ID, a copy of your semester's classes, you can login to your school email account for them; they also said to me that you can bring in a letter from your school.

2) Don't know. I am in the same boat as you!

3) Not that I know of, but I know very little.

4) I'd call and ask. I know the store in Atlanta takes a few days to get the new ones, sometimes up to a week. Just depends.
  3. steve88 macrumors member

Apr 18, 2005
    I just ordered a 20" imac from macmall today. Imac wont be at macmall until May 13. I am sure Apple store will have them sooner, but I don't know how sooner.
  4. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Congratulations on the new computer. If your old iMac has firewire, you should be able to connect the two computers via a FW cable and reboot the old iMac holding down T (I believe) and it should boot that computer in target disk mode. Thus, the old iMac will show up as a FW drive on your desktop. Just drag and drop the stuff you want. If the both have Airport, that should work fine, too.