iMac G5 RAM config

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by raythepa, Feb 12, 2006.

1. raythepa macrumors member

Looking at the possible RAM configs for the iMac G5. The Apple Store shows (what I think is a little out of the ordinary) RAM progression 512, 1, 1.5, and 2.5GBs. Will the machine handle 2 x 1 GB sticks w/o any problems?

Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I believe the iMac has 512 built-in. It only has 1 RAM slot. You can put a 2 GB stick in there and get 2.5 GB RAM.

3. arcsbite Guest

it depends on the iMac

pre iSight have 2 serviceable slots, so 2x1GB is fine.

iSights have a 512mb built in which can't be changed and you can add upto 1GB in the 1 serviceable slot.

and the new intel iMacs again have 2 fully serviceable slots so again 2x1GB is right.

when they moved to iSight iMacs they began using SO-DIMM memory, this is also used in the intel macs.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, the OP was configuring an iMac at the Apple store. That leaves the iSight and the Intel. Since they actually said a G5, I think that what I posted was correct.

5. arcsbite Guest

wasn't saying you were wrong :)
    just offering what little information I know

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Oh, OK. I thought you were implying that I was giving the specs for the wrong iMac. Now that I re-read your post I see that was not the case. Sorry for the confusion.

7. arcsbite Guest

No, not at all.
    it's just, before I bought my iMac I spent a while looking into the RAM situation, just wanted to pass as much info onto the buyer :)

8. raythepa thread starter macrumors member

thats OK, thanks...I'm just sitting here flipping back and forth between the new iMac and the G5. With my education discount its about $300 between the 2 machines. Other than the ATI Radeon vram being fixed the only thing I could upgrade on my own would be the RAM and I really wasn't sure if that 512MB was fixed or not.

9. rdhazrd macrumors newbie

Not exactly, the iMac G5 with iSight can handle a 2 gig chip, and uses a regular DIMM. The intel iMac uses the SO-DIMM
    Not to step on toes, but just want to correct errors

10. arcsbite Guest

but 2GB sticks are not only rare they are also phenomenally expensive and therefore unrealistic.

I though the iSight was SO-Dimm...good catch ;)