iMac G5 RAM purchase....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TrumanApple, May 21, 2005.

1. TrumanApple macrumors member

I am looking to buy a 1gb RAM module for an iMac g5 computer i am thinking about buying. http://www.memorysolutions.com/imacg5memory.html is offering a 1gb chip for 99 where everywhere else like crucial is offering it for about 130. Is this company known for quality RAM? Any advice?

2. TrumanApple thread starter macrumors member

Also, if you know of another company that can offer the RAM cheeper then let me know...

3. jer446 macrumors 6502a

i bought a stick of crucial value for my new imac for 90. Bought it from zipzoomfly.. new egg had same offer but no free shipping.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Other World Computing (OWC), whose web presence is at www.macsales.com, has 1GB sticks for $119 (note the 1GB "upgrade" for $95 is two 512MB sticks).

OWC has a stellar rep. I've never used Memory Solutions - they could be fine - but I've bought from OWC twice (2 512MB sticks, 2 1GB sticks), no problems, quick service.

5. ebook macrumors 6502

Could you point me to that RAM at zipzoomfly? I have been thinking about getting another 512 stick to go along with the 512 that I have and replace the 256. But, I have decided that I just need to get the 1 gig.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I recommend Newegg.com. Never had a problem with them, and I love the reviews.

They should start paying this site for advertising as much as we mention them.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Uh Huh, and a newbie user is going to pick the right RAM out of the dozens of PC generics they have, right, seeing as NewEgg doesn't state Mac compatibility? And charges a 15% restocking on non-defective returns?

Truman, here is my standard speech (MR Regulars, all together now, "groan")

PC Generic RAM is risky for compatibility, especially in the iMac G5. The PC3200 spec alone is not enough to tell. My recommendation is to buy from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility in your specific Mac model, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-charge return if it doesn't work.

Many MR posters like Crucial, RAMJet, OWC (although there are dissenters).
    In the USA I like Data Memory Systems, $109 1 Gb
    http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1158
    because they are a Mac-based company, and I have dealt with them for over 5 years.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

8. Bozola macrumors regular

9. Willy S macrumors 6502

What about Omnitechnologies then? They offer rock bottom prices and state that the ram works for iMac G5.

I however, haven´t read any of their customers´experiences except on ebay and I don´t fully trust them as they are often written very soon after the purchase so the experience isn´t much.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There you go, you've answered your own question.
    I prefer a seller who has been in business for more than a decade, and has proven their reliability in the real world (outside of eBay).

11. Willy S macrumors 6502

Well, they´ve sold many sticks on ebay and I´m hoping to see if any of this forum members has bought one and used for some time.

I´ve bought several cheap things on ebay and have saved a lot of money by doing so. However, its always risky and you have to decide if the risk is worth the price difference.

So, if you hear that some cheap memory works well, then you can save your bucks and use it for something else. :rolleyes:

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's why I said read the reviews. ;) And for the record, I've never been charged a restocking fee for a return. They either issued a replacement or gave me a refund. I did have to pay to ship it back though. The Mac aren't as picky as most people think, just don't buy too cheap. Like the RAM on Pricewatch that says it doesn't work on anything. :p