iMac G5 Random Shutdown!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyedoc_00, Oct 20, 2006.

1. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

I have a Rev B iMac G5 and when my wife was working on it (using TexEdit) it randomly shut down lossing all power. The external speakers did not loose power. After wainting about 5-10 minutes my wife turned it back on and continued working in TexEdit when the computer lost power and shut off again. Is this serious and should I call apple care or take it in to the genuis bar?

Thanks for giving any advice or tips.

2. dcv macrumors G3

First, check that the power cord is in securely and hasn't come loose.

If it's not a loose power cord you might want to try resetting the SMU:
    - Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
    - Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
    - Wait 10 seconds.
    - Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
    - Let go of the power button.
    - Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

My rev B iMac G5 started randomly shutting down a few months ago and eventually stopped working - I couldn't power it back on at all. I just got it back today, it's had a new logic board and power supply fitted.

I would strongly suggest that you back up your system ASAP in case this happens again and won't power back on. If it does happen again, then yes, I'd suggest you take it in to the Genius Bar (assuming it's still under warranty?)

3. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

When I get home tonight I will try resetting the SMU. Thanks for the directions as I have no Idea what the SMU is.

It is about 1.5 years old and I have apple care.

4. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you saying to unplug the pwer cord from the surge protector or taking the end that connects to the computer and pulling that out?

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

this is a known problem, and should be covered by apple care. take it in.

if you are the adventurer/screwdriver type.... open the back and look to see if you can locate some expanded caps in the bottom center/power supply area.

if that made no sense, put the screwdriver down and take it in. soon. now actually...

6. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I will not be picking up a screwdriver and getting anywhere near my iMac. I am backing up photos and music as I type on my dreaded PC. Will probably take it in to the apple store on Sunday.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

linkage

found the apple link HERE.

they just fixed a 1.6 1st gen for me. had to take it in, as they wouldn't send me the parts. period.

best of luck.

8. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

9. seabass069 macrumors regular

Is it possible that your wife accidently kicked the cord loose from the powerstrip or the wall? If the outlet is older, the power cord can come out pretty easily.

10. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

No, the powerstrip is inside a desk drwayer. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. dcv macrumors G3

The bit that connects to the back of the computer.

The link posted by 4JNA is for Revision A (i.e. 1.6/1.8GHz) iMacs. Yours is a rev B and will not be covered by that particular programme, but as you've already mentioned that you still have AppleCare you should be able to get a replacement power supply and/or logic board fitted at no extra cost (if necessary).

12. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I followed the steps to reset the SMU last night. So far the computer has not powered off. I am still going to take it in to get looked at to make sure I don't neeed a new power supply or logic board.

13. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

OK so I reset the SMU and all looked good for about 2 days. The computer is back to randomly shuttting down. As I do not have an external HD, I am in the process of copying my photos over to my PC. I have back up DVD's of my pictures also. As well as having them on my iPod Photo.

If this turns out to be the same problems that the first Gen iMac's had and the power supply and logic board needs to be replaced, am I going to loose all my data causing me to have to reinstall from my back up's?

14. dcv macrumors G3

Aarrgh, sorry to hear that. Could just be the power supply that needs to be replaced but might also need a new logic board, as mine did.

No you shouldn't lose any data but it's always wise to back up anything important, just in case something happens to the machine whilst it's out of your hands.

15. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That is good to know

16. jorasho macrumors regular

I have had this too. If you look at Apple Discussions, you see several people having the same problems with their Rev B. Unfortunately, Apple still does not recognise it made a mistake.

17. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

I have applecare so it is covered. Right now it is at the apple store getting repaired. I also have them looking at my LCD screen for possible dead pixels and I am having them check out the fan noise. My fans come on all the time and it sounds like a hellicopter.

18. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Update!

I got my iMac back last night. :D
    I took it to the apple store on Thursday October 26th. They called me yesterday that it was all fixed. The replaced the logic board, power supply and LCD pannel. Thank god for applecare. Repairs would have cost $1,600. That would have forced me to buy a new computer, which I could not afford at this time.
    So far all seems well. Lets hope it stays this way. If not, I still have applecare for another year and a half.
    This experience has bee much better than my Gateway computer. It had to have its powewr supply replaced and that was the begining of the end for that computer. After 3 trips for repairs I finally was able to get them to replace my computer, only took 9 months. That is what promted me to buy a mac.