iMac G5 Red Dots

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sathos, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Sathos macrumors regular

Something that has occured a few times, my 20" iMac G5 occasionally goes to the spinning beachball, and I can move the mouse but not click anything. Pressing the power button once won't put it into sleep mode and I have to hold the button to turn it off and turn it back on. When it gets back onto my desktop, for a few moments there are lots of little red dots moving around, concentrated to one area (which varies but has so far been to the right side of the screen).

I should mention that twice I tried going to 'Disk Utility', clicking on 'Macintosh HD,' and then clicking 'Verify Disk' and it did what I explained above. It's also happened while just surfing the internet.

Also, the cd drive seems to sound a little different than it used to.. though that could just be me being paranoid.

Any ideas on what's going on?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Lots of colored dots floating around the screen may be an overheating video card, but if you have one of the iMac G5s in Apple's problematic serial number range -- it could be a capacitor issue also.

iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues

If you really want to be paranoid, freezing machines and a clicking from the drive area can be a dying drive. :p

3. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

I just had my iMac's screen and power-supply fixed - having troubleshooted and done lots of research I can confidentially say that our generation of imacs had dodgy hardware.

Take it to an Applestore as soon as possible.