iMac G5 repeatedly sleeps when importing CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shotgun OS, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Well, I have had my iMac G5 since July and everything has gone great with it.
    Now, today, my friend had gave me a new CD, and I wanted to import it into iTunes. As it was importing, it imported the first song, then, all of a sudden, my computer goes to sleep! I said, oh well........it might have just been a little problem. So, I resume my importing, and about 10 seconds later, it goes to sleep again! I then thought that I might want to stop the importing and quit iTunes. Before I could do this, my computer went to sleep again! This happened about another 5 times before I could finally quit iTunes and eject the CD.

What might be the problem? What might I have to do to fix the problem?

In addition, I ran Disk Utility last night and it gave me 'Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit' and says that my volume of my HD needs repair. I ran the utility again after I ejected the CD, and got the same thing.
    How would I go about fixing this, also?

I attached a pic of the Disk Utility.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open up the CD in Finder and drag the AIFFs to your hard drive. If that works, eject the CD then drag the AIFFs into iTunes and convert them to AAC.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Your iMac might be overheating, or it might think it's overheating.

I had that problem with my Powerbook, I had a faulty temperature sensor so it would think it was overheating and go into sleep mode to protect itself to cool down, even though all temps were normal.

Importing and encoding CDs makes the processor do quite a bit of work and heat up, but not enough that it should cause it to overheat under normal, working conditions. Try to do something else to make the processor work, maybe encode something in iDVD, do some folding or whatever and see if it sleeps

4. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

This worked...but doesnt solve my dilemma. Thanks, though. :)

It seems to be overheating. I opened up iDVD, imported a movie, and clicked the 'map' button. As soon as it took me there my computer went to sleep.
    What should I do?

edit: Also, how do I check how hot my processor is?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Does the computer actually feel warm? If not, I'd say you have the same problem I do with the faulty temp sensors. Call Apple, you said you got it in July so it should still be under warranty.

6. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the computer does feel warm, but it always has since I got it. I thought it got warm just because it wasin such a small casing. It is pretty warm on the front, right above the Apple logo. The back, where the slit is on top, is really warm. Should I shut my computer down or awhile to cool it down?