iMac G5 Rev. A doesn't always wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebomberman, Mar 10, 2007.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

A problem emerged with my iMac some weeks ago. It would lock up sometimes when waking from sleep. The glowing light stops glowing, and I could hear the hard drive unpark itself, but then....nothing. After a few minutes of unresponsiveness, the fans will blow like a wind tunnel. All I can do at this point is hold down the power button to turn it off completely.

What bothers me most about this is that it's leaving behind problems that Disk Utility cannot fix. So I tried to do a complete erase, reinstall of Tiger, and transfer of my Home directory. (That took forever because I found out after a whole day of futility that my external drive would lock up whole transferring files because it couldn't get enough power from the surge protector that my whole computing rig is plugged into. I had to plug the external into its own socket in the wall.)

I thought I'd be fine after that, but the sleeping problems have reemerged, Disk Utility is finding problems (the latest check says this:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Incorrect block count for file _CACHE_003_
    (It should be (It should be instead of 125)
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    nformation.",0)
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

I find it hard to believe that Firefox, a few widgets, Mail, Ecto, iCal, and iTunes would be able to stop my computer from sleeping after years of running smoothly. Is this a sign of impending failure? Could this be related to the surge protector not providing enough power to my external drive (which is usually off, in case anybody's wondering)? Should I just stop sleeping my computer? Should I put the last couple of months of Applecare to good use?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mturlock macrumors newbie

Disk Utility

If disk Utility is not reparing the errors, Boot from your OS X Install CD and run Disk Utility from there. That should fix Disk errors. I Can't help you with the sleep issue though, if repairing the disk doesn't help, put that Apple Care to use!

3. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Thought I'd follow up, in case anybody Googles this and wants to know how it all ended...

Resetting PRAM, NVRAM, and the SMU did nothing. Reinstalling the OS didn't work. But the hard disk errors seem to do nothing harmful. And they can only be fixed with a complete drive wipe at the beginning of reinstall, which I don't feel like dealing with right now.

Basically, my computer won't sleep, but is otherwise completely functional. So it shall never sleep again until the day I decide to take it to Applecare for repairs (which expires at the end of September, I think). I'll hold off on another erase and install until I get Leopard.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, you don't wanna leave errors there. If you can't find the OSX discs, then try running fsck from Single User Mode. Reinstalling the OS wouldn't help unless you reformatted the drive too. IMO, you don't need to do this. :)

5. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Disk Utility can't fix the errors even when I boot straight from my Tiger disk. So short of a reformat and reinstall, I'm just going to stop putting my computer to sleep and wait for Leopard.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If that's the case, then maybe look into getting TechTool Pro to fix the errors. Hard drive errors aren't something you should ignore because they could result in quirky behaviour and even data loss.