iMac G5: Rev. A vs. Rev. B

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gregorydanger, Jul 8, 2005.

1. gregorydanger macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    Just a question.

A while back I got my hands on a rev. A iMac G5 and ended up getting rid of it because the fan just would not shut off. I know that sounds completely stupid but trust me, it WAS ridiculous. I was running the OS in "Reduced" processor mode (as opposed to "Automatic") and all I'd be running was Safari and the fan would just start going crazy. I can't stress the keyword "loud" enough.

Other than that I loved the machine. If it hadn't been so loud I would've held onto it. I've heard that this problem has been fixed in the most recent release of the iMac (Rev. B) but I just want to know if this is true before I went out and bought one. I doubt that I'd get a straight answer talking to a "genius" at an Apple store so I figured I'd just ask here.

If anyone has some insight I'd be very glad to hear it. Thanks!
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    The Rev B's in general are supposed to be far quieter although some are still apparently quite loud...

Also your Rev A was robably one of the un-lucky one's which was very loud as not all rev A's were loud....

If you want a quiet iMac G5 the Rev B's should be fine and if it is loud im sure apple will swap it over under warranty..

ShadOW :eek:
  3. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    I agree with Shadow, you've got a deffective version of iMac. But their generally quite
  4. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought a revision B iMac G5 17" and returned it the next day, because of an incredibly annoying buzzing sound coming from the bottom left hand side, facing the screen, which kicked in whenever I actually did anything on the machine. I replaced it for a 20" version and the difference is like night and day. Quiet, fast, beautiful screen etc.
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Sounds to me more sensors that are off! Just like the rev A of the dual 2.0 powermac...
  6. gregorydanger thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    I appreciate all of your responses.

Generally, I find it a little disheartening that Apple would release a system that you basically have to buy to find out if it'll run properly. I understand the issues regarding the G5 processor, particularly in the iMac, but you'd think that they'd take a few extra steps to prevent machines that don't run up to par from getting out there.

Regardless, I think I'm going to pick up another one (base 17" model) and hope all goes well. If I have problems I'll just return it. Again, thanks for the tips!
  7. Shai-Nadir macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2005
    From what I have heard and personally experienced, the Rev. B models are hit and miss when it comes to the noise level. While some state that their imacs are whisper quiet, my Rev. B 20" imac had a "whirring noise" that would get louder as the computer got hotter. It became so annoying that I ended up selling it. It was a nice machine but was too loud for my taste.