iMac G5 Rev B is broken :(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dcv, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dcv
    macrumors G3

Yes my 20" iMac (2.0GHz/Revision B) has decided to crap itself. :rolleyes:

Just got home to expect it to be recording Lost with my EyeTV. Instead I find it's switched itself off. Not in sleep mode, nothing, just completely off. I tried to power it on but nothing. It is emitting a little squeaking noise (don't laugh!) every second or so. I left the room for a few mins and then heard the start-up chime... I popped my head round the corner to observe it attempting to power on. The screen lit up then it all powered down again; sleep light flashed on and off about 3 times or so and then went back to nothing but that strange squeaking sound.

I've unplugged it, replugged it, removed all FireWire devices etc. I cannot power it on and I'm just hearing this little squeaking noise. So presumably the PSU is fried or something then? Is there anything I can/should do? It's already had a replacement PSU fitted a few months ago.

Sorry, it's late, I'm pooped and haven't searched the forums properly - please feel free to slap my wrists for that - is this a common problem? I bet someone's going to post a link to the iMac G5 video/power issue thingymajig but AFAIK that applies to Rev A machines not Rev B.

Cheers.

2. Guest

iGary

Have you tried to boot from the install discs, DCV?

3. macrumors G4

According to threads on Macintouch.com, both Rev A and Rev B iMacs had problems with capacitors. Pop the back off and take a look. If it's that problem, the capacitors will look bulged.

4. macrumors 603

gekko513

It does sound like a PSU problem to me.

5. dcv
    thread starter macrumors G3

I cannot power it on at all. :(

Oh really? Aaarrgh! I thought it was the A's only. Well that's easier said than done... it's wall-mounted so I will have to un-mount it first. *goddammitall*

I think it must be... obviously when I unplug it the funny little squeaking noise stops. All I get when I plug it back in is this stupid noise. It's plugged into a surge protector strip along with my 17" iMac. The 17" has been switched off anyway as I've not been using it but I've just powered that one up just to test that it's not a problem with the power socket or anything like that.

OK well, thanks guys - I guess I have no choice but to take it off the wall then and pop it open. It is still under warranty as I bought it as a refurb only about 4 months ago. It's bloody heavy though and I have already lugged it back to Cancom to have the PSU replaced before. I don't want to have to carry it all that way again! :mad: And how typical that I haven't backed up the hard disk in ages cos I ran out of backup space :rolleyes:

*FRACK™*

6. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Now that's especially irritating. Get that screwdriver out again girl...

7. Guest

iGary

:HUG:

Keep us updated. :)

8. dcv

I have no luck with iMacs. The first (17") was noisy and the second (20") has been randomly shutting down before. In fact this morning as I left for work I thought that it looked as though it were switched off as I didn't see the sleep light on, but I was in a hurry so didn't check properly. When I got home from work the screen-saver was on, so it must have somehow either woken up or restarted itself, which I thought rather odd. I checked the uptime and it was 0 days 5 hours. Anyway it seemed to be up and running, so I set up my EyeTV schedule to record Lost tonight, left it in sleep mode, went off to the gym... and just got back to find it all off/broken :(

9. dcv

OK I've diagnosed the problem. I found this support article on Apple.com

Have taken it off the wall and followed the instructions. LED 1 lights up, but LED 2 doesn't.

Therefore it's not the PSU... the logic board needs replacing.

I'm gonna have to lug this fracking™ thing back to Cancom again.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. macrumors G4

Applespider

Ouch! Well... lugging that there will save a trip to the gym one night!

11. dcv

Haha!

Well the only time I can take it there is Saturday since I'm still at work when they close up shop :rolleyes:

Grrr, first the power supply, now the logic board, what next? I'm so tempted by the Intel iMacs now, but I just love the fact that my old G5 can be wall-mounted.

12. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, so can the Intel ones...if you don't mind installing a little 7"x7" shelf. :)

On the plus side, they're then easier to remove.

13. macrumors 6502

Take it back!!!! if its still under warrenty

14. macrumors G4

and A LOT lighter to carry :)

15. dcv

OK I am *fuming* right now :mad:

Just got off the phone to Cancom. I explained the problem, told them I'd run the diagnostics and that I thought I needed a new logic board, asked how long it would take to get fixed etc... (up to a couple of weeks by the sounds of it as they'd have to run their own diagnostics then order the parts from Apple). I said ok thanks, I'll bring it in on Saturday. I was then advised that they have a new policy where they will not book stuff in for repair on Saturdays. So basically if you need something fixed, you have to take it to them Mon-Fri 9:30-6pm :rolleyes: ...well that's a ****ing fat load of good if you work in the City from 8-6 isn't it? "No sorry madam, there's nothing we can do". :rolleyes:

I can't take it to the Apple Store as I bought it as a refurb through Cancom so it's under a different warranty, not AppleCare.

Really wish I hadn't bought this machine now, or certainly not from them. It's been more trouble than its worth. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And how the hell do I backup the hard disk now?

16. macrumors G4

Applespider

Take it on Saturday and tell them it's broken (for the second time) - don't say that you were told you couldn't bring it in.

If they object, sit outside the store on the box and point out to every customer going in what Cancom's repair policy is and they'd be better off going elsewhere. I'm sure they'll agree to take it in after that... ;)

Makes mental note not to shop at Cancom... (Is it out of its usual 1 yr Applecare warranty? Might be worth sticking the serial number in at Apple.com to check?)

17. dcv

Anyone else want to join me in a Macrumors vs Cancom protest on High St Ken this Saturday? :D

That is something I will have to check tonight. I can't remember when the Rev Bs were released... knowing my luck the original 1 year has probably literally just passed. When you buy a refurb through Apple, they actually reset the AppleCare date to the date of purchase of the refurb. With Cancom refurbs you get a separate 1-yr warranty so the original AppleCare isn't reset. I'll check tonight just in case there is a week or so left on it.... *fingers crossed*

Anyone know the procedure for AppleStore repairs? Do I have to call and book a Genius slot or something, or just take it in and wait in line?

I've never had any issues with Cancom before and in fact I *have* booked this iMac and my old iPod in for repairs on a Saturday before. Apparently it's a new policy :rolleyes:

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stand outside the store with the banana and a sign that says monkeys make their repair policies or something like that.

Good luck!

19. dcv

I love that plan :D

20. macrumors G4

Applespider

I'd have been delighted to... except for the small matter than I'm in Scotland!

Without Procare, you have to go and stand in line. You can book some appointments on the day online but it's hit and miss whether you get one since they've changed their policy so you can only see free slots in the next hour or so (of which there are rarely any)

I'd suggest getting there when the store opens, going straight to a display Mac and book yourself in for the first appointment.

21. dcv

OMG... I've *seen* that queue in the Apple Store at the weekend. That sounds worse than sitting on the box protesting outside Cancom :(

Well first of all I'll have to figure out if there even is any original AppleCare remaining. Just checked the wonderful guides here to find that the rev Bs were introduced in May 2005, so knowing my luck, this was probably one of the first and now out-of-warranty :rolleyes:

22. macrumors G4

The queue is for making an appointment, but you can bypass it by using any of the Macs in the store and going to the right page on the Regent St. section of Apple.com. Everyone queueing up is only doing so because they don't know otherwise, or in the mistaken belief that they will be immediately seen when they get to the front.

23. dcv

Ohhhh I see. I've never managed to book a Genius appointment as whenever I've looked on that page it's always told me there are no more appointments left... this is why I have always dealt with Cancom before!

24. macrumors G4

I don't know whether the machines in the store show different timeslots to the ones out on the Internet. They've changed it all since I last had to book a slot.

25. dcv

Well what d'ya know...

[​IMG]

3 whole weeks of the original AppleCare remaining :) :) :)

But does this still apply if I bought it as a Cancom refurb? If so, at least that gives me the option to take it to the Apple Store anyway.

Now about my data... can I remove the hard disk from the broken one and put it into my working 17" iMac just so I can take a backup before I take it in for repair? Or is this going to invalidate the warranty on both machines?