iMac G5 (rev B) problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by VeganBryan, Jan 25, 2006.

1. VeganBryan macrumors member

i've had my iMac g5 (rev B, 20") for about six months now, it is still under the standard one year warranty. i have the following complaints:

-the screen got burn-in almost immediately. i have had the screen saver set to come on after 10 minutes and then after 20 minutes the screen goes to sleep completely.

-the screen has had a dead pixel since i first got it. not a HUGE deal, really.

-the disc drive reads dvds fine, but cds are another story. for some reason it will try to read a cd for a while, then give up and spit it out. i have to put the cd back in several times before i can finally get it to read it. and yes, before you ask, i have tried multiple cds.

-the disc drive is very noisy when burning dvds, and then the burns aren't even successful about 50-75% of the time.

-the top-right and top-left corners of the clear plastic casing that covers the outside of the computer have cracks.

so, would apple repair any or all of these things for free under the standard one year warranty that came with the computer? would they possibly even replace it? (i don't want an intel imac though, so hopefully they could give me a g5 if they replace it.)

2. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

If you have had these problems, why are you only now consideriing notiifyng Apple?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The screen burn-in is a questionable repair. The optical drive will more than likely be replaced. You might have to justify it was faulty hardware damage and not accidental.

4. VeganBryan thread starter macrumors member

i'm a procrastinator and the nearest apple store is about an hour away. i've tried talking to tech support and they are all in india now, and couldn't even understand the concept of screen burn-in, they tried to have me fix it as if it were a software problem.

in the six months i have had the computer, it hasn't once moved off of this desk that it sits on right now. and nothing has ever fallen on it, either.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well just take it to the Apple Store and tell them your story. You're still under warranty and it sounds like just a bad iMac that you got out of many.