Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I am curious to know if anyone else is having the same problems that I am having with my RevC (iSight) iMac G5:
1. Reading DVD's
-It is having trouble reading some DVD movies. 2 nights ago my wife and I decided to watch the LOTR Two Towers Extended Version DVD Disk 1 (authentic not burned) and it would not mount. It was not recognized by the computer and would not come up in DVD player or when I tried to select a DVD in Front Row. I ejected and reinserted the DVD 5 times before I was finally able to get it to play in DVD player, but it did not automatically read it and start up DVD player and the disk still never mounted on my desktop. I opened disk utilities and it was there, but I could not see it on my desktop to access the files (which I didn't need to do but they were nowhere to be found). The drive is a Dual Layer MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Booting from an external Firewire Hard Drive
-I have been backing up my system with a FWHD and booting with it for years (after each back up I always boot with it to make sure it worked). Since I got this new RevC iMac I cannot get it to boot up. In System Preferences it shows that it can be a Start Up Disk, but while booting it just hangs at the blue screen and never finishes booting. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (have the most up to date version) and have tried re-copying many times, but it just does not work. I have never had problems on any other machines. Any ideas?

That's it for now and hopefully for as long as I own this iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.