iMac G5 Screen Flicker

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bellis1, Feb 15, 2005.

1. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Has anyone had a problem with their iMac G5 20" having screen flicker. It comes and goes but is very noticeable. I can usually alleviate it if I dim the screen or bighten the display. It goes away immediately if these settings are changed. It does not even happen very often but it worries me. I'll have to mark my calendar before the Applecare is up. I can't find any information on anyone with similar problems. Thanks.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

My Mom's does NOT do that... I don't think it's normal. i'd send it in....

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Could be some larger problem like the power supply. I would get it checked out ASAP.

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It could also be interference from some source near the computer.

Before taking it in to Apple, I would also try stuff like-

-moving the computer to another room and trying it
    -trying a surge protector
    -trying another computer (if you have one) at the same outlet
    -etc.

My eMac screen would flicker intermittently for some strange reason, until I figured out that it was caused by the oven! (my computer was on a bar adjacent to the kitchen at that time.)

5. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought about that

I first saw the problem when I took the computer home for a couple of weeks from work. But when I brought it back to work I seem to still have the same problem. I wish it was as easy as sending it back but I'm working on my dissertation and have a deadline before the end of May. Maybe I should just report it and when I finish my dissertation I can send it in. I am in front of the computer for at least 8 hours a day; perhaps I'll just keep a notepad of when it happens. I was curious if anyone else had the problem or knew anyway to troubleshoot it some before I send it in. Thanks.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If you need to keep the machine, here's what you do. Tell Apple about the problem, and that you think it might fail, but it hasn't yet. Keep using it, but for the love of god, back up your important info externally! That way if it does fail before May, you won't be totally without your data... but if it holds out until then, work with Apple to replace it.

Of course, Apple also allows many parts of the iMac to be user-serviceable... I believe they send you a new part, and you swap and send the old part back. Someone else who's done it can confirm this. But if you're handy with a screwdriver, it's only an hour or two's worth of downtime for each part replaced-- so even if it takes multiple attempts to fix the problem, you should only be without a computer for a matter of minutes, not days.

7. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Reported

I reported the problem. I have until November to get it to a store. And I'll be sure to back everything up. Thanks.