iMac G5 screen flickered and then went black

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by joseroca, Mar 26, 2005.

1. joseroca macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a new iMac G5. It has worked properly for three months, but lately the screen has begun to flicker sporadically, just faintly but still annoying. Yesterday the screen went completely black. I tried restarting, the chime sounds and the white light tells it is on sleep, but nothing comes on the screen. Sometimes I see a faint shadow of a window, but it's too dark to discern. I have guessed that maybe the screen brightness is set to completely dark, but since the G5 keyboard does not have a button to adjust brightness and there is nothing on the screen, I cannot verify if it's indeed the brightness of the screen that has gone wrong, or if it is something else. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

2. Lily1000 macrumors newbie

Well, I'll state the obvious, give applecare a call!

The apple keyboard does have buttons to control screen darkness, f14 darkens, and f15 lightens.

The apple site discussions have alot of contributions regarding screen problems, have a look. You may have hardware problems, and a replacement of the inverter, midplane or entire display maybe in order. I am sure a more knowledgeable soul will be along soon..... Good luck!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sounds like a hardware problem, which there is very little you can do anything about, other than to call Apple. Not a great deal of help right now I know, but this is what I think is your best bet.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

edesignuk is right, it's almost surely hardware. Even if you turn the brightness totally down, you'll still see image-- it only goes to about 40% brightness, never totally off. The fact that the white light is on means the iMac realizes the monitor is not working-- the light is supposed to be on (or pulsing) anytime the monitor is NOT on, so you know the iMac is powered up... I'd say either the LCD is not connected, part of the video circuitry is fried, or the LCD itself (or the backlight, i should say) is blown. Call applecare.

5. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

do iMac G5's have 1yr warrantys? if so, AppleCare should be able to replace or repair the G5

6. joseroca thread starter macrumors newbie

Burnt screen

Thanks guys. I was so hoping it wasn't a hardware problem, since I bought the G5 in Puerto Rico but live in Colombia, where there is no coverage of the Apple guaranty. I'll see what I can do,
    J.