iMac G5 screen problem: Hardware or software?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pusman83, Nov 8, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    About a month ago, I started having trouble with my iMac G5: there seemed to be a pink grid all over the screen and the computer had trouble booting past the user login screen. When it did, the pink grid would be all over the place and a lot of the visuals would be screwy (transparency, etc.). However, when moving from "millions" of colors to thousands, the effect was not all over the screen, confined to the taskbar and icons.

Pink grid:

Transparency problem:

If I started it safe mode and turned the display to thousands of colors, the problem pretty much went away (all the visual effects were there) except for one specific thing with the pointer in MS Office.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the heck was going on, what I could do? I figured that if the problem shows up on a screenshot it's probably software-related, no?

Help please!
  2. thread starter macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
  3. macrumors regular

Yeah that's the imacs way of telling you to upgrade to an intel machine and stop using stone age technology.
  4. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Woah man, G5 isn't stone age... I still use an G3.

To the OP: Anyway, it might be the logic board or HDD failing... I'm pretty sure its the hardware. Run the hardware test and try re-installing the OS.
  5. macrumors member

May 6, 2004
    Looks like the video RAM failing. It's soldered to the motherboard. Time for a new motherboard - way too expensive - or a new machine.

Run the hardware diagnostics to check.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 28, 2009

If you're still under applecare warranty get it fixed by all means!
    if it's graphic card issue which is soldered to the motherboard there's a chance they might replace the whole machine for you.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    It's long been out of warranty. How do I run the Hardware diagnostics?