iMac G5 screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zap2, Oct 1, 2005.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have a iMac G5 17'' 1.8ghz Rev A with 1gb of apple RAM. I got on a iMac today and saw a dead pixel, NNNOOOOOOO!!!!, i got the computer in dec 04 so it still has the apple 1 year plan. if i taek it t my local apple store are they gooing ti hlpe me cuz of my i year plan or nope?

i did a forum screach but could not find any thin about a imac G5 with a protection plan

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

From what I've noticed from reading on MR-- most Apple people will NOT replace your unit if you only have one dead pixel. I had three on my 12" PB-- where each pixel is that much more important because of the small size of the screen and the resolution-- they still didn't help me. :(

3. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

:(

i was think about getting a laptop perhaps i'll get a PM and give my iMac g5 to my mom( she will have a hard time finding the pixel her eyes) or perhaps i'll get a NICe intel laptop and my iMac G5 can be my backup computer

:(

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I guess if money is no issue you could do that. But honestly, it is only one pixel on a 20" screen, your 'solution' seems a bit extreme. Not to mention, dead/stuck pixels are part of the very real potential of any LCD screen. But, like I said, if money isn't an issue than I guess your possibilities are limitless.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I agree, that is a bit extreme. Try this: take an eraser to it and gently massage it. :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it dead or stuck? Is it black or coloured in other words? If it's stuck, lilstewart92's advice holds true but please don't use an eraser. Massage the stuck pixel with a slightly damp lint-free cloth. :)

7. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

they pixel is Black in color so i think it dead

my idea of a PM or nice Intel Laptop were CRAXY, i don't have that money( woudl like it though)

after using it its not that big of a deal,

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well there's still a very small chance that it's stuck on black. Massage it very lightly but if it doesn't help then yeah, you have a dead pixel. Sorry. :(