iMac G5 Ship Dates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Doctor Q, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This thread is for a single purpose: to compare notes on ship dates for iMac G5s. There are other threads for discussing the new iMac G5 models and who bought what.

Please report what you hear from Apple or the vendor you ordered from about expected ship dates, so we can share the facts/gossip and plan our lives around the big moments when our new iMacs arrive on our doorsteps.

I assume that ship dates depend on vendor, order date, model ordered, and maybe whether it's an education order.

I ordered the 20" model on August 31, 2004 from the online Apple Store, non-education. Currently, Apple says it will ship "on or before 09/29/2004".

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I ordered a 20" ( 1-512MB DIMM, BT) on 8/31 @ 6:17 am ET. Got a call from Apple today wanting verbal verification of different ship to address than bill to address. Asked for a ship date and she told me 9/23. Online order system still says on or before 9/29.

3. KeareB macrumors member

Order Status

Order Date: 08/31/2004 10:55 AM PST
    Order: IMG5 20/1.8/512MB/250GB/SD/APX/FCE/BT/WL
    ETA: 9/29/2004 (on or before).

Unchanged since original order. No calls. But no irregularities in shipping/billing address.

4. ebook macrumors 6502

I ordered a 20" stock everything except for the Bluetooth/mouse/keyboard on 9/1/04. Shipping says on or before 9/30/04 a day later than those that ordered a day before me (stupid small credit card limit!!!)

Also, a question about the printer rebate. I ordered the $99.00 and it has already shipped, but the rebate says 30 days after purchasing. What if my computer ships past that 30 days. Am I out of my rebate $$?? I hope not that would make me mad.

P.S. Until I get the iMac I have my desktop on my iMac G3 and iBook G3 set as a picture of the new computer!

5. AndiePandie macrumors regular

I ordered the 20", non-educational, stock with BT/mouse/keyboard, on Aug. 31 2pm. Online shipdate says: Open Est. Ship 09/29/2004

I hope that is the case! Until then I'm stuck with my craptop (non-Mac).

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

17" 1.8GHz G5 iMac
    512MB RAM 1-Dim
    250GB
    SuperDrive
    Bluetooth/Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

Ordered on 9/1/04 @ 11:02PM Eastern from the Developer Store
    3-4 Weeks/On or Before 10/1/04

7. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Order date: 1 Sept 7:02 am PST
    Estimated shipping date: On or before 30 Sept.
    17" 1.8 GHz w/AE, everything else stock.

8. ebook macrumors 6502

I hope that is the case rdowns. If yours ships then I'll be happy with mine shipping a day later!

9. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Just Ordered!

Hi Guys, New to the Forums.

Just Ordered a 17" 1.8ghz iMac G5 Yesterday. with the following configuration:

1.8ghz G5
    1gb RAM
    160gb HD
    SuperDrive
    Bluetooth/wireless mouse/wireless keyboard

Ship Date - On or BEfore 9/30/04 --- My Local Apple Store says they'll have them in the 13th of September, so I'm hoping it's the same for all of us!

10. ebook macrumors 6502

That's what I was afraid of. I was worried that I would be able to go to the store to check them out before I actually got mine. I guess I'll just have to take solace in the fact that I BTO'd mine so it would have to be shipped anyway.

11. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

ORDER DATE: 08/31/04 - 02:45 PM Pacific Standard Time

SHIP DATE: On or before 09/30/2004

iMac 1.8GHz w/17" TFT
    512MB
    80GB
    SuperDrive
    AirPort Extreme Card
    Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

I hope "on or before" really means "before."

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Apple has been consistent in their claimed ship dates for those of us who ordered an iMac G5.

That's quite a contrast to the claims in this Mac Observer story:

Maybe that information is only about resellers, not the Apple Store?

13. gatorron macrumors regular

Shipping Slip

I ordered -- 20", 512, BT, AE, wireless KB-- 20 minutes after it was available 8/31 (3:05 AM PST, for those who HAVE to know).

Order confirmed quickly same day by approx. noon, stated delivery 3-4 weeks. When I checked appline store that evening, shipping listed as 9/29 or before. But, the order was different. It had 1GB, exceeding my budget. Don't know how that happened.

I called, they changed it, and shipping slipped one day, to 9/30 or before. Guess I lost my spot in the que. Shoulda just paid for extra memory.

Also ordered on 8/31, Office. It has already arrived, on 9/2 by noon. Can't run it yet on the ole PC.

I've waited all summer, another day doesn't matter. Be sure to check out Apple's Intro Video w/ Black Eye Peas, Ives. Very cool.

14. allroy macrumors member

FWIW...

I called 2 of my local Apple Stores and they both said in-stock 9-14.

15. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Just ordered mine today - time to get rid of this old G3 600mhz iMac

iMac 1.8GHz 20" TFT
    1GB
    160GB
    SuperDrive
    AirPort Extreme Card
    Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

Ship Date: On or before 30/09/2004

I've noticed this is the same shipping date as people who have ordered before me! Does this mean there not getting many orders? :confused:

16. davey-nb macrumors regular

Apple Store Experience

I had setup the One Click buying feature at the Apple Store the day before the Keynote, anticipating the new iMac.
    I've been thinking of replacing my PowerPC 7600 with the 132mhz processor and 80mb ram for a while. I almost went for the G4 iMac but that basketball sized half hemisphere always seemed too large to me.
    I was up early to catch the Apple Store as soon as it was online following the Keynote and was immediately impressed with the value of the new iMac.
    I adjusted to the look in about 13 seconds.
    I ordered the 20" model right away but when I checked my status I had no order. Somehow I hadn't checked out properly. So I returned to the store and placed my order again. When I checked my status in about an hour I saw I had requested 1gb of ram when I meant to order 512mb. I had to cancel that order and return to the store. I then realized how I had changed the ram. When an item box is selected, the arrow keys on the keyboard will scroll through the options. While I was navigating the page with the arrow keys I inadvertently changed my order.
    To make a short story long, by the time I finally orderd the machine I wanted my ship date changed from 9/29 to 9/30.
    That doesn't bother me. Since I've waited 7 years to upgrade, an extra day's not bad!

17. andrewfee macrumors 6502

20" 1.8GHz G5
    1gig ram
    250gb hard drive
    Bluetooth keyboard & mouse

On or before 30/09/2004

One thing I was wondering; does anyone know if the bluetooth module that comes with the keyboard and mouse is internal? I would assume it is as I'm ordering it with the mac, but this is my first one, and don't know.

18. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

yeah it will be internal :)

19. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I've wanted to switch for so long...

20. bont macrumors member

whilst reading this thread I recieved an e-mail confirming my order, saying it will be shipped out on the 28th, that's a day ahead of most of you! :p

21. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Ordered on Aug 31 @ 6:40 AM PST: iMac G5 20/1.8/512MB/250GB/SD/APX/FCE/BT/WL. Later that day, I received 2 e-mails, the first of which showed the correct configuration, and the second of which had the 1 GB of RAM instead. Phoned Apple, and the rep told me that the original order would have to be cancelled to correct this error. Ship date to Canada: on or before Sept 30/04.

BTW, I believe davey-nb and at least one other MacRumors poster reported the same problem with unauthorized changes in the RAM configuration. What gives? :confused:

22. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Has anyone been able to order it with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse replacing the wired ones?

23. Crikey macrumors 6502

Just Apple's little way of telling you how much RAM you'll wish you had when Tiger ships. ;-)

Crikey

24. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Yes, I did. At least I think that is what it means when you order: "Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + OS X - U.S. English [add $99]"

You don't think they'd give two sets of keyboards and mice, do you?

25. KeareB macrumors member

It's a simple request, really...

I thought the request at the top of this thread to keep the discussion focused on SHIP DATES was clear and sensible...