iMac G5 sound capabilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iindigo, Jul 18, 2005.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I'm aware that my iMac G5 has optical out and such - that's not what I'm talking about. What's I'm curious about is the iMac's internal sound capabilities - since it doesn't have a real sound card (which I beleive is true for ALL Macs) does it hurt the sound output quality? What does it output, 16bit, 24bit, or ...?

Also, does my iMac have any major disadvantages to a Mac with a real sound card installed?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Macs don't exactly have a sound card that you can change, but they do have a chip on the logicboard that controls the sound on all Macs. On the PowerMac G5, it is possible to add a seperate sound card.

My iMac G5 has incredible sound through my Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks w/iSub. I don't see a difference between that and a PC with a normal sound card in it.

This link should answer your question:

http://developer.apple.com/document...cG5/03_Input-Output/chapter_4_section_15.html

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

The iMac G5's speakers are almost as useless as the Mac Mini's built in ones. :rolleyes:

4. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

if your looking for superior sound quality, go with an external sound card via USB. Do a google search for one and look at reviews.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you open the System Profiler (Apple Menu>About this Mac>More info) you can select the Audio tab and it will tell you the sound output specs. My G3 has 44khz output. I connect a stereo to the sound out port and it sounds great.