Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'm aware that my iMac G5 has optical out and such - that's not what I'm talking about. What's I'm curious about is the iMac's internal sound capabilities - since it doesn't have a real sound card (which I beleive is true for ALL Macs) does it hurt the sound output quality? What does it output, 16bit, 24bit, or ...?

Also, does my iMac have any major disadvantages to a Mac with a real sound card installed?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Macs don't exactly have a sound card that you can change, but they do have a chip on the logicboard that controls the sound on all Macs. On the PowerMac G5, it is possible to add a seperate sound card.

My iMac G5 has incredible sound through my Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks w/iSub. I don't see a difference between that and a PC with a normal sound card in it.

This link should answer your question:

http://developer.apple.com/document...cG5/03_Input-Output/chapter_4_section_15.html

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
if your looking for superior sound quality, go with an external sound card via USB. Do a google search for one and look at reviews.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If you open the System Profiler (Apple Menu>About this Mac>More info) you can select the Audio tab and it will tell you the sound output specs. My G3 has 44khz output. I connect a stereo to the sound out port and it sounds great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.