iMac G5 speakers

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Totalshock, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Totalshock macrumors member

Can any of the owners out there comment on the speakers that are internal on the iMac G5? Are they acceptable, at least, for music/gaming/general sounds?

I'm used to having SoundSticks, and I know it won't be nearly as good, but I want to know if it's acceptable, since part of the reason I'd look at moving to an iMac is to reduce the footprint of the product on my desk, and therefore, using the internal speakers would save the "most" deskspace.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

2. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I have never used the SoundSticks, but the internal speakes on my iMac G5 (17" SuperDrive) are significantly better than my rev. C 12" PowerBook. I usually have the volume at half of maximum (right before there are three lines on the speaker in the menu bar) and they are plenty loud, clear and have a nice stereo effect.

There was a problem with a clicking noises when system sounds were played, but that was fixed in 10.3.6.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The internal speakers in the iMac G5, sound like the sound is resonating in an empty box. And the volume has to be turned half way if not all the way to obtain decent sound. The whole "sound bouncing off the table top" all depends on where the iMac G5 sits on a wooden desk, metal desk, glass desk, is there a cloth covering the table, etc....

The iMac G5 internal speakers are terrible and the users comparing PowerBook speakers to iMac G5 speakers is joking. Since laptop speakers are never the best or even decent they sound terrible period.

The iMac G4 had the best speakers, external and if you can get a hold of those you will have audio bliss. :)

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

It will depend a lot on the surface you use them on, but although they're not as good as the ball-shaped speakers, they're not that bad, either, at least in the environment I used them.

To me, I'd say they're about comperable to the eMac's speakers, if you've heard those, which is to say acceptable if not impressive--not terribly rich, but more even than I was expecting. I didn't, however, think they sounded hollow or echoy (that's not a word, but...), but that may have had something to do with the particular setup.

5. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

They are so puny, but give a nice stereo effect. My G3 iMac with iSub kicked in comparison though, at the moment I'm looking to exploit the 5.1 surround with externals.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Whaaaaaaaaa no options for 6.1 :( :p

Dammit Apple innovate give both 5.1 and 6.1 you cheap freaks. :p