iMac G5 Surround Sound???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EricNau, Oct 10, 2005.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

On the Apple website, for the iMac G5, it says you can use 5.1 surround sound , but I don't understand how, when all I have is a headphone Jack. I've tried researching through Apple and Wikipedia but still can't figure it out. Can anyone out there explain to me how I could hook up 5.1 Surround Sound to my iMac G5. And would I have to get a special set from Apple, or could I just go to Bestbuy and pick up any old, cheap set?
    Thanks
    http://www.apple.com/imac/

2. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Optical out -> receiver/decoder/amp (something like these) -> speakers (as many as receiver can power)

3. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are there any speakers that have that built in? Because buying one of those for $500 isn't really practicle, just to listen to surround sound.

Also, because there is one one Jack, would it really be true surround sound, or would it just be a lot of speakers all playing the exact same?

4. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Well, what I described was a basic schematic. You can either get reciever and speakers separately (home theater setup) or buy computer speakers with a digital decoder build in (like these or these). Most are not cheap.

The output is digital, which means it's just a datastream that can be decoded into however many channels the original recording was encoded in.

5. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

6. p0intblank macrumors 68030

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

does the iMac have optical audio out? :confused: I can't remember.

8. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Apparently it's built into the headphone jack using TOS-link

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Thats good to know. Very cool. Thanks. :)

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Remember to get one of these if you get those speakers(the top one plugs into the headphone jack on the imac)
    [​IMG]

11. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've also looked into this. What kinda cable would I need/what do I tell them at Radioshack when I go looking?

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think you want mini-TOSLink to TOSLink. Just look for the optical cable that has a mini-stereo-ish plug on the end.

13. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

[edit]Rubbish post by me and I've only just set up my Logitech Z5500 :eek:

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Uhh... I thought the top port was for mic-in... the audio-out jack lights up briefly whenever something's inserted in it, I'm reasonably certain at least on my rev A iMac G5 it's the audio-out jack that's also optical.

edit: yah, the text below the headphone symbol is "optical out", it's the same port. If the top one isn't for line in, I don't know what it is. Too lazy to get manual. This is the reason audio lags when you plug/unplug headphones, the hardware has to decide whether it's analog or TOS. Annoying as hell I may add.

15. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Yes I FUBARed :eek: maybe I should get some sleep as it's late over here, sorry to anyone confused by my post.

16. MacinTodd macrumors newbie

Optical out on the iMac

Hey guys,
    The optical out port is the same as the headphone port. The top port on the iMac is for a powered mic input.

The headphone port is both analog/and digital, just like the airport express, so if you were to look at it while in use, there would be a red light coming from it. That's the optical signal. The mini Toslink connector should come with all optical cables. Otherwise, you can just buy the adapter tips for a few bucks if you already have an optical cable you wanted to use.

Hope this helps.

Again, the iMac DOES have optical output. It's just using the same port as the analog/headphone jack.