iMac G5 switching itself off... randomly!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacKat, May 2, 2006.

1. MacKat macrumors member

Does anyone know what may be up with my Mac G5?? It just keeps on turning itself off without warning! :confused: It can happen at anytime... usually about 5 mins after I switch it on, although this has varied!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts!

Kat x

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You mean it shuts itself down or falls asleep? Open up Console in your Utilities folder and it should show you Console.log by default. Does it say anything interesting there, straight after a restart?

Also, in the meantime, unplug everything and maybe look into resetting your SMU. :)

3. mpw Guest

It sounds stupid but we had a problem similar to this in an office I used to work in and IT couldn't trace a fault until someone figured out that the cables where housed in flexible conduit under the desk that people were stretching just enough to cut the power then they'd get up to sort the problem and the tension would be removed and power restored.

I've had a similar problem with tight cabling on my iMac where I've routed everything through the hole in the upstand.

4. MacKat thread starter macrumors member

Hiya - Thanks for your advice.

The computer is literally switching itself off and takes a minute or two to allow me to start the computer up again.

I looked at the console.log after restart and this is what it says:

Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
    2006-05-02 12:58:08 +0100
    2006-05-02 12:58:08.350 loginwindow[182] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -43

What does that mean?? :S

Will try the SMU thing right now too..

Kat x

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Mine wakes up from sleep if I turn the light on while it is still dark in the room (sudden light changes dark to light) :confused:

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I had a similar problem in that my iMac would turn off instead of waking from sleep. Reinstalling the OS fixed it.

Best wishes.

7. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

I just started having the same problems. Just leave the computer downloading or go to watch a little TV, when I come back it is completely dead!!

What I want to know is if it is hardware or software as my warranty is running out.

8. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

I just started having the same problems with my imac G5 2ghz. Just leave the computer downloading or go to watch a little TV, when I come back it is completely dead!!

What I want to know is if it is hardware or software as my warranty is running out.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be either. The original iMacs had capacitor issues (not Apple's fault), but that shouldn't be a problem for your newer one. Considering the warranty's nearly up, I'd talk to Apple about it or take it back to where you bought it for help, assuming the SMU reset didn't help. :)

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Conversely, my iMac CD turned itself on in the early hours of the morning on two consecutive Saturdays. It hasn't done it since, but it left me completely baffled.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When the batteries are getting low on my mouse or keyboard, my iMac wakes from sleep and doesn't come back to bed until I recharge her cells. I've never had it start from shut down randomly though.

12. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

my girlfriend just had this issue. so...i tryed a new APC 6 in 1 power strip and once i plugged that into the outlet the indicator (the APC i was using has two indicators to notify you of potential problems) came on saying that there was a wiring issue. this was because we were pluging a 3 prong plug into a 2 pront outlet. i took here computer to my house and plugged it into a true 3 prong outlet and the thing ran for days with no issue.

long story short. make sure its plugged into a 3 prong outlet thats properly grounded and use a nice power strip. if it IS plugged into a 3 prong outlet....try one in a different room just to see if the problems continues.

13. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

14. macgruff macrumors newbie

Sounds like the exact problem I've just had fixed, luckily for me my 20" iMac G5 2ghz (pre isight) was still under warrenty.

My iMac just kept switching itself off, at first I thought I was going mad, I'd wake up in the morning and go to my Mac and it would be off, I couldn't remember if id turned it off or not (I normally dont), eventually though it started doing it while I was using it, totally randomly, sometimes straight after boot, sometimes after hours but steadily getting worse. Its not going to sleep its like someones just pulled the plug, no warning just off. I found switching it to reduced processor made it stable enough for me to get a full backup.

Contacted Apple who told me to clean install Mac OS X, clear PRAM, NVRAM etc etc... at first this worked and for a couple of days it seemed to be fixed, then it came back even worse. Contacted them again, I mentioned that my iMac fell within the serial range for the issue that Eidorian links to above but Apple wouldnt have it because my Mac wasnt a first generation 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz G5 iMac.

After a few weeks it just totally died, I contacted Apple and they thought I needed a new logic board, they sent that and I had an onsite fix which did nothing. It was the power unit not the board, 4 weeks without my work computer later, after sending the wrong part again and then being out of stock of the power unit, I finally got my iMac back up and running.

Now I've been waiting about 8 weeks for my "voucher to apologise for the delay", I've spoken to 3 people from Apple Australia Customer Relations who have promised but failed to call me back. Overall the experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was lucky though, my friends iMac is doing the exact same thing (it died 3 times duing a 45 iChat session recently) but hes just out of his warrenty and its going to cost him.

15. dcv macrumors G3

My 20" 2.0GHz (revision B) iMac G5 started doing this a couple of weeks ago too. It hadn't happened before, but then at some point on the Friday evening it just decided to shut itself down. Of course I was out and didn't realise what had happened until the following morning, by which time it had failed to record Lost with my EyeTV. (grrrrrr - so I am missing one episode from season one :mad: ). It then seemed to randomly shut down over the next 3 days or so, but it's been fine again for the past week. Weird. I was out at work every time so I didn't see what happened. I thought perhaps it was overheating or something.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You may have an overheating problem, or even perhaps an issue with the power supply. Time to take her into the shop me thinks.

17. dcv macrumors G3

The PSU was replaced about a month ago as it was buzzing previously, so it *shouldn't* be a problem with that. But I agree, having searched the Apple discussion forums it seems to indicate a potential PSU issue. If it happens again I'll look into getting it checked out. It's just a pain as I have it wall-mounted and I've already had to take it off the wall and lug it back to the shop before... and the 20" iMacs are not light!

18. mpw Guest

Never had it shut down but it once started itself about 20mins after a seemingly normal shut down. :confused:
    Series 1 and series 2 is now available for download from channel 4s website, series 2s episodes are added a week after broadcast.
    Windows Media Player 10 on XP only unfortunately.

19. dcv macrumors G3

Exactly :mad:

I have all of series one apart from episode 20 recorded with my EyeTV and I'm currently recording series 2.

I blame edesignuk for this of course...

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Would you like to elaborate on that? :D :p

21. mpw Guest

…with pictures if appropriate!!

22. dcv macrumors G3

:eek:

now that would be taking this thread completely off-topic, which I'm sure is frowned upon... ;)

23. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

24. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

I just checked my order date... 6th of May last year! Thats annoying! This better not be hardware!