iMac G5 Upgradability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skp574, Feb 6, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

First of all I'm waiting for the new 15" PB to land on my doorstep. Can't see it coming soon as it's still in China waiting for a flight!

Anyway, I'm now considering getting an iMac G5 20". I am going to be a switcher. The PB is the first thing to replace my stunted Compaq tablet PC :eek: . The iMac will replace my Compaq Evo desktop.

I have looked at the support pages on the Apple website about changing internal items if they need to be replaced.

They are:

- AirPort Extreme Card
    - Memory - DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) SDRAM
    - Hard drive
    - Optical drive
    - Power supply
    - LCD display
    - Mid-plane assembly

My question is if Apple bump the spec to include DVD+/- writers could I change it myself? Or am I stuck with what I've got?

I need the machine now so I'm not going to play the waiting game, I just need a little reassurance that things like optical drives can be changed out for new models, not just a like for like replacement if they go down.

Does anyone know if the Bluetooth module can be changed or added at a later date?

2. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i know there are some companies that sell (and install for an additional $75 - $100) drives for ibooks, powerbooks - i'm not sure about the imac G5 though.

the internal bluetooth module can't be added later. but you can add a usb bt adapter if you don't mind losing a usb port.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can replace the drive with pretty much any slot loading slim line drive you can find, if it dose not work off the bat try an application called patchburn and your new drive will work, i dont much see the point of upgrading to a faster superdrive as how much time do you spend burning dvd's? it seems to cost about $100 to save you ten minuets on a job you rarely do

4. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do spend quite a bit of time burning DVDs (backing up my MP3 collection). However, I like the choice of using + or - discs. As a I have a lot of both. I don't want to be tied to a certain type. Also if burning discs someother players can't read the discs + discs but need a - disc instead.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The iMac G5's CAN burn both + or - discs. There's a list on Apples website that says this. Pretty much any Mac you buy now has this capability.