Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I had a g4 800mhz with 512mb of ram and sold it to get a G5. When I got the G5 I got 512mb of ram on that machine also. I noticed it was not that much faster than the old iMac. (I didn't use any programs that are too intense).

How much performance difference would I notice if I upgraded the G5 to 2gb of ram? The most intensive app I use is probably photoshop elements.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I noticed quite a noticeable improvement from 512 to 1gb. I would say it is not worth spending £300 odd on 2gb's of ram - the difference probably won't be noticeable. Save yourself some money and get another 512mb for about £50.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
blasto333 said:
I had a g4 800mhz with 512mb of ram and sold it to get a G5. When I got the G5 I got 512mb of ram on that machine also. I noticed it was not that much faster than the old iMac. (I didn't use any programs that are too intense).

How much performance difference would I notice if I upgraded the G5 to 2gb of ram? The most intensive app I use is probably photoshop elements.

-blasto333

I have 2gb in my iMac G5, but then, it's a dedicated computer for Logic 7 music production.

I will say this, with 30 concurrent tracks at 24bit@88.2khz it's not breaking a sweat yet.

I think the point is, that you'll only see the speed (or rather lack of slowdown) if you stress the machine into the arena of actually needing that much headroom. If you see a slowdown, likely your machine has maxed its RAM and is nt using the disk for RAM (Virtual memory). Sure sign you need more RAM.

But do you think you really need 2gb?

blasto333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I probably don't need 2gb, but I could use a ram disk with 1gb of it just to have a little mini backup drive. Also the computer has to last me 4 years (through college) and lots of ram will probably help. Is it possible to do a RAM disk on OS X? If it is possible would I lose the data every time I restart?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
blasto333 said:
I probably don't need 2gb, but I could use a ram disk with 1gb of it just to have a little mini backup drive. Also the computer has to last me 4 years (through college) and lots of ram will probably help. Is it possible to do a RAM disk on OS X? If it is possible would I lose the data every time I restart?
Think about it for a moment. RAM is volatile - it gets wiped when the mahcine loses power.

That would not be a backup drive. If you want a backup drive, get an external drive or maybe an iPod Shuffle if you don't need to backup much.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
blasto333 said:

Actually, Web Browsers can be fairly intense. I suggest you add either a 1GB or a 2 GB kit. 1 GB additional is probably enough for you form what you said. It all depends on what you actually run and how much of it is open at the same time.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I too upgraded to an iMac G5 from an iMac G4 and had 512MB put in it from Apple. Recently I put another 1GB stick in (for 1.5GB total) and it has made a world of difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.