iMac G5 + USB Modem...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TENBLUE7™, Jan 30, 2006.

1. TENBLUE7™ macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
    Sheffield - England
    ...long story short as this is a pig of a job.

Friend of a friend of a friend on dial-up.

Has an old iMac G4 - dials up fine.

His new iMac G5 - no dial tone detected.

I've had the modem and the iMac at my house for an hour and it works fine, even on my G5, an iBook and a PowerBook.

He's had a new modem and a new cable - no joy.

Any Suggestions?

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    I'm thinking the dial-tone may be too quiet for that modem, at your friend's house. Have you tried un-ticking the 'wait for dial-tone before dialing' option, in the modem settings?

Attached Files:

3. TENBLUE7™ thread starter macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
    Sheffield - England
    Hello thanks for the reply.

Tried "Do not wait for dial tone" amongst every other setting that could make a difference.

It's the fact that the old internal modem on the G4 is fine so you'd assume the problem is with the G5 and the USB Modem but like I said I've had them working everytime.

I cannot get over to the guys house as I'm working constantly - this is the main problem - it lies at his home.

Thanks a lot.
  4. Sam Luis Obispo macrumors member

Feb 7, 2006
    Ran across the following situation:
    iBook G4 at site A: Connects by dial-up effortlessly. Total elapsed time to load ISP webpage almost 3 and a half minutes.

iBook G4 at site B: Connects by dial-up to same provider(but different phone number [different area code]) takes what seems like a long time to establish a connection and when it does, total elapsed time to load ISP webpage over 7 and a half minutes.

iMac G5 + external USB modem(&10.4.4) at site B: Takes a long time to connect and when it does, total elapsed time to load ISP webpage(with errors) over 13 minutes. Seems to disconnect randomly. (two different modems) :(

Granted that this is hardly authoritative, it looks like iBook G4 internal modem is more successful negotiating this same situation than the G5 + external modem.

Does you G4 connect & operate at the same speed at both locations?