IMAC G5 - Video Card drawback

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Marc Garrett, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Marc Garrett macrumors newbie

I am about to junk/sell all my Windows stuff - and move over to an iMac G5 20 inch screen, etc. My only concern is the video card, which is apparently not upgradable. My workload does include some mid-range video editing - not major motion pictures, but some work related projects. My question is, if I upgrade the imac to the 2gb ram, will the IMAC G5 be able to run Final Cut Pro smoothly, or should I wait until the next generation of IMAC's roll out, which will almost surely have a better video card, or at least allow you to upgrade it? I realize that the Power Mac is the best option, but i don't currently have the dough for that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Marc,
    I cannot comment on the exact circumstances you propose, but I have the 20 inch iMac G5 with 1gb RAM and I have used Final Cut Express without difficulty. However, I have not tried FCE (or any video editing program for that matter) on any other systems, so I can't make a great comparison. But, overall I think the graphics is more than capable.
    Good luck and welcome aboard.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

For 3D the videocard doesn't cut it, but FCP is 2D so it won't be a problem at all.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't think you'll ever see an upgradeable video card on the iMac -- you'll need to buy the "Headless iMac G5" for that (aka, the current Single Processor PowerMac G5.)

That machine uses the same architecture as the iMac G5 -- but it includes some of the PowerMac features: more DIMM slots, additional ports, extra HD bay, PCI slots, and a video card.

5. Marc Garrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Great Guys -

Thanks for the info - I think the IMAC G% will be just fine for my needs

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

if your going for video get the bigger screen... those 3 inches are gold. :)

edit: whoa missed that first line.... yeah your going to love your iMac G5 :D

oh yeah and FCP not running? I used to use a eMac that had 700MHz G4 384 Ram and it ran very well. (rendering just took some time) To install it i had to use an extrenal drive! :p

You iMac will run it fine if not great. (Ram will add a huge punch to it.)

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Come on in, the water's great. I bought a Powerbook last June after a lifetime of PCs, and now I just got my iMac G5 20".

If you've been using XP, then you'll know what it's like when you have to go back to a Win98 system to do something - it feels so old and clunky. That's what XP feels like when you've been using OS X for a while.

Good luck