iMac G5 video card upgrade???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by agnasd, Mar 7, 2005.

1. agnasd macrumors member

Oct 23, 2004
    Now, I know you can't just buy a new video card and install it on the new iMacs, but I have heard that you can have an authorized service rep install either a better video card and/or more vram.

Has anyone heard of this or even better know where I can get it done. I have a 20" iMac and I would like to see if I could at the least double the video memory.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You got and iMac with a video card?

I don't think anybody else has ever gotten an iMac with a video card, which makes it tougher for them to upgrade it.

If you want an iMac G5-based system with a video card -- you'll have to buy a current Single Processor PowerMac G5.

It's the only "iMac G5" with a video card, but most people see it as a PowerMac G5.
  3. agnasd thread starter macrumors member

Oct 23, 2004
  4. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Apple lists the midboard as being replacable. This means you can replace the motherboard/prossessor/graphics card assembly. So in theory, yes you can upgrade it by buying a whole new midboard. However, no such improved midboard exists yet.
  5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    The iMac doesnt come with a Graphics card, that u can change. You need to change the whole mid plane to change the Graphics Card. The only way you gonna upgrade the Graphics card is by waiting for a new iMac revision.

PS: Sun Baked wasn't being sarcastic.

A simple search would have also helped you here.