Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pepede

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Hi guys. I have problem with iMac g5 1.8 5200nvidia 17 inch. It has artifacts but i explain when it happens. When i turn on computer and system is loaded artifacts starts showing. Then mouse didnt work great and i have to turn off with power button. Nextly i Turn on machine (second boot) and it looks the same. The third boot is always succesfull and there arent any artifacts. To sum up on third boot i can normally work on computer and these 3 steps are always the same and happen in this order. I would be glad if somebody would help me.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi guys. I have problem with iMac g5 1.8 5200nvidia 17 inch. It has artifacts but i explain when it happens. When i turn on computer and system is loaded artifacts starts showing. Then mouse didnt work great and i have to turn off with power button. Nextly i Turn on machine (second boot) and it looks the same. The third boot is always succesfull and there arent any artifacts. To sum up on third boot i can normally work on computer and these 3 steps are always the same and happen in this order. I would be glad if somebody would help me.

Your video card is dying so you need to replace the whole logic board. Or it could be a capacitor problem. In which case you could replace the capacitors.

Googleit

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
video card dying
capacitor problem

Both very common faults on the G5 iMacs, if I were you I'd sell it for parts (loads of people still buy them faulty for a reasonable price on eBay) & get yourself something more reliable, like a G5 (maybe a dual 1.8) or an MDD (built like tanks, extremely reliable). If you go ahead and repair you iMac it's likely to crap out on you again. Just my 2 cents.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
If you go ahead and repair you iMac it's likely to crap out on you again. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think that's necessarily true. If you replace the capacitors, you'll probably be set. I've got first-gen G5 iMac that's been running like gangbusters ever since I replaced the caps and power supply 4 years ago.

OP, I think it's a matter of how much more money, time, and effort you want to put into this machine. If it's a matter bad caps, then it might be worth the effort depending on how handy you are. If it's the video card, you might be able to score one on eBay, but you'll have to be handy with a soldering iron to replace it. If there's something specific you like about your iMac, it might be worth it to you to replace it. Otherwise, you're probably better off investing in a more reliable G4-based system.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Both very common faults on the G5 iMacs, if I were you I'd sell it for parts (loads of people still buy them faulty for a reasonable price on eBay) & get yourself something more reliable, like a G5 (maybe a dual 1.8) or an MDD (built like tanks, extremely reliable). If you go ahead and repair you iMac it's likely to crap out on you again. Just my 2 cents.

You list G5 towers and MDD's as reliable? I would have to disagree there. The MDD's don't have the same level of unreliability as G5's but they are by far the most unreliable G4 tower. I have replaced more MDD PSU's than I can count. I have seen many G5's of many different speeds blow boards and PSU's even when running on state of the art power conditioning.

Those bad capacitors found their way into MDD PSU's, iMac G5 boards and PowerMac G5 boards/PSU. The video issues on iMac G5's are caused by bad capacitors.

You even go so far as to tell him to just give up and sell it before your string of incorrect statements on MDD and G5 reliability.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
You list G5 towers and MDD's as reliable? I would have to disagree there. The MDD's don't have the same level of unreliability as G5's but they are by far the most unreliable G4 tower. I have replaced more MDD PSU's than I can count. I have seen many G5's of many different speeds blow boards and PSU's even when running on state of the art power conditioning.

Those bad capacitors found their way into MDD PSU's, iMac G5 boards and PowerMac G5 boards/PSU. The video issues on iMac G5's are caused by bad capacitors.

You even go so far as to tell him to just give up and sell it before your string of incorrect statements on MDD and G5 reliability.

Give it a rest zen. It's getting quite boring now that every single time I or Anthony posts you have a dig at us.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
But it is quite funny how you're up-voting all of your posts & down-voting mine.

There are people here, myself included, that lurk and upvote/downvote more than they actually post comments. I wouldn't be so quick to cast aspersions in this particular case.

ETA: Additionally, if you find someone else's posts so bothersome, you can always quietly add them to your ignore list and never have read another of their posts again.

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
But it is quite funny how you're up-voting all of your posts & down-voting mine.

I didn't vote my own post up or yours down.. do you not get that other people agree with the concept of fact based info when people ask for it? The OP didn't ask for the answers to be made up as we went.

I really have nothing against you. Honestly.

If the desire to spread facts over what the unknowing think and pass off as fact makes me a bad guy (as it always does) then I am fine with that. At least I can look in the mirror and know I'm not full of BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.