1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iMac G5 vs iMac G4 for iMovie and iDVD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sigamy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

I'm itching to speed up my home movie editing (rendering effects, etc) and DVD encoding. I currently have a 1Ghz iMac G4 with 1.25GB RAM.

I'm wondering if I'd see a nice jump in performance from the 1.8Ghz 20" iMac. I actually like the style of my G4 iMac better, but the 20" screen and the G5 make me want to upgrade.

It probably takes a good 3-4 hours to encode a 1hr DVD on my G4. Any idea how long it would take a the G5 iMac?

Is this a worthy upgrade?

2. macrumors G3

At best you'll see about a 50% performance improvement. And that's if the iMac G5 has the same amount of memory. Get more memory and tings should improve a bit. Especially if you have other applications you're using at the same time. Right now, you're CPU bound, but with a faster system you might become disk I/O bound so it's a it difficult to figure out the exact improvement.

And I'm keeping my iLamp until it dies or becomes totally useless. Although I do have to use my PowerMac for most of my daily stuff, the iLamp does make a nice library computer and music player.