iMac G5 VS iMac Intel

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macintosh¯Lover, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macrumors member

wich would would you by? I am going giveing my sister my eMac but i can not decide wich one to get i need it for ilife 09 CS2. I am thinking G5 caus if i get it i will have money to max it out/upgrade it.
    Thanks so much.

2. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I wouldn't invest money in a PPC. It probably won't even run Snow Leopard. Even the lowest current iMac is WAY faster than a G5. You could also get the last model refurb for much less.

3. macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Get the intel iMac...

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Mac Mini if you have a spare LCD or CRT monitor laying around, too bad the $425 refurbs are gone -- though keep checking Apple and resales for deals on those.

5. macrumors 6502a

another vote for intel

i had a g5 imac, and found it very slow, often maxing out the cpu. Having a dualcore processor (intel) makes a considerable difference.

6. macrumors regular

Omni Geno

An "upgraded" G5 will not be half as good as a current (or last generation) Intel iMac. By the time you spend the time and effort and pain of upgrading an iMac G5 it still would not be as powerful as a new Intel one and will most definitely not last as long. An Intel iMac will blow the doors off the G5 in CS2 and iLife performance, and as flopticalcube pointed out, the G5 will probably not run Snow Leopard. In general, the G5 is not futureproof whatsoever.

7. thread starter macrumors member

i am now leaning towards a 2.16Ghz 24 Inch intel imac white.

8. jnc
    macrumors 68020

jnc

Try to get a white Core 2 Duo - best iMac Apple has ever made. :)

9. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Good choice. Much easier to upgrade than the Alu iMac and you can get matte screens.
    The performance difference isn't great between the white and the alu except in graphics.

+1. The Core 2 Duos can take up to 4GB (3 visible to the OS) and are up to 25% faster at the same clock speed.