iMac G5 vs Mac Mini Core Solo

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zap2, Jun 12, 2006.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So i got some money, and i'm thinking about buying a Mac Mini Core Solo and ACD 20'', and later in the year replacing the Mac Mini with a PowerMac intel(or what ever the name will be)

But my question is will i get a speed boost from a iMac G5 1Gb RAM 1.8Ghz to a 1Gb Core Solo 1.5Ghz Mac Mini? Or even with a Universal Apps will I lose speed? I know an intel iMac is a better deal but I really want to upgrade to a Apple Display, to be used with my PowerMac Intel in a while.

If I lose speed in a 1Gb Core Solo vs a 1Gb iMac 1.8Ghz, were do you think a 512mbs Core Duo will stand in spedd versus those 2.

Thanks

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

I think you'll get similar performance. Therefore I would just wait until the Intel Powermac comes out and get that and the ACD then.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

G5 will be so old school in a month or two and with so many models to be updated this summer I wouldnt do a thing until the new releases.

4. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

The thing is that the Mini is just a set between PPC and x86 for me, so as long as its not slower i'm fine. Yes Core 2 will be faster but as its only a "hold me over" Mac i'm fine wit gettting it now(plus if i had to i could put a Merom chip in the Mini)

I''m really looking for any one who has used both a Mini Solo and iMac G5 for a while, and see what they think. If not i'll just end up playing around with one at the store