Imac g5 Vs p4 3.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Sep 1, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Hi guys,Well the new iMac is finally here.I got on about 2 oclock yesterday in the afternoon.I go to the apple.com store and I thought i was gonna get all excited but i didnt.After seeing all the prototype designs I guess i expected a better design.Any i Bought a powerbook a month ago.It came with a bad battery So i got pissed and sold it.Plus the 12 inch screen kinda botherd me.I had gotten used to using my p4 3.0 desktop(xp).If you were me would you replace your pc p4 3.0 with an imac?If you are wondering what i do with my pc,not much.Surfing,music,email etc.Or should i stick to my pc and get an amd proccesor.Thank you in advance.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, what do you think someone here is going to answer. Of course an iMac G5 is better than a P4 3.0.

As for the design of the iMac, make sure you look at it in action. Did you look at the iMac introduction video?

I think it looks much better in use than it does in promotional photos.

3. vga4life macrumors 6502

Unless you want or need to switch to a Mac, stick with your current PC and don't replace it with an AMD. A 3 GHZ P4 is a *fast* machine and should be more than adequate for your stated purposes.

-vga4life

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with vga4life and a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 isnt going to match a P4 3.0 unless you use some of Apples' benches.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If you think a 1.6 G5 is faster than a P4 3.0 you got another thing going on...

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

he said "better" not "faster"...

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Conceivably a P4 3.0 *IS* better than a G5 iMac.... for the same price you could get that kind of setup, which would obviously be faster... but unfortunately be running Windows... and at a larger footprint.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Strange.Bad.Terrible.Keep your PC.It'll give you love,late at night.

Kudos to others for fighting the urge.I could not.

9. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.I suppose if i didnt know better i purchase it with out thinking.Steve should listen to his customers.Lets have an imac with swappable video cards.Or you should be able to upgrade your hd when ever you want.I guess the imac is targeting the younger hip consumers.If it looks like an ipod hey maybe theyll buy it.I wont rant.i guess with the money i can buy the new samsung 17p3 lcd monitor and deal with windows :rolleyes:

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yep... anyway, for the orig. poster, for the reasons you cited, i see no reason to ditch your PC.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's what the G5 desktops are for.The iMac line is for those that do "simpler" computing.Therefore,they are cheaper.And have non/limited-upgradablability.

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

a mac intergrates smoothly into your life... there are so many great things about macs... i would advise the 20 inch 1.8 g5...its a great machine... but that isnt why i would buy it...imho macs are so much better

13. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

They are.... but for him you need to assess both the time and worth of trying to sell and then purchase a whole new setup, where conceivably he may have no Mac software whatsoever. IMO best idea is to wait til the P4 craps out, THEN get a Mac.

14. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

I would say a good way to measure the Performace of a G5 vs. that of a P4 is to take a look at AMD's Athlon 64 since it's very comparabe to the G5 Clock speed and Performance wise.

I would say a G5 is equivalent to a P4 at 1ghz higher and on par with an AMD 64. I've come to this conclusion after reading numerous Beanchmarks at various sites.

G5 1.8ghz = Athlon 64 2800+(1.8ghz) = P4 2.8ghz