iMac G5 vs. PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mmoin, May 18, 2005.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

I'm entering graduate school this fall, and am trying to choose between the top-of-the-line iMac G5 and a mid/lower level PowerMac G5. Price-wise, there's no contest (since I'd need to buy a display for the PM also) and space-wise the imac is great, but how much am I giving up in performance if I get the iMac (G5 2.0ghz) instead of a dual 2.0ghz powermac? I really just use my mac for word processing, net access, burning dvd's, mp3's, watching movies, etc. No video editing or anything. My current setup, a PowerBook G4 867, is nice but can get a little sluggish sometimes. I want to make sure my next computer can run OS X blazingly fast. Thanks.

2. pshady macrumors member

imac g5 is plenty fast for what you described, and the space savings in the dorm room is huge. You won't regret it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

iMac G5 = current Single Processor PowerMac G5 -- just a different case, same consumer chipset.

The duals are the PowerMacs running the XServe/PowerMac chipset.

---

So you do get something extra when you get a dual, especially if you plan on playing with H.264

4. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

mac mini

with that kind of workload, id forget the imac even, if u are looking to save money get a mac mini and a 23 inch display (then if u upgrade later you still use it). If you are looking for wow factor and a little more power tho, go for the imac. i almost got one earlier this month myself, but then realized for the stuff i do, my 1.5 ghz powerbook is well suited. ill wait to upgrade. and in ur case make sure u really evaluate how much power you need and what is really important to you. Good luck

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

you live in a dorm for graduate school?

6. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah- The school I'm going to has graduate dorms. Very cheap, but I have to live in a 12x10 box. It sounds like the G5 imac is probably my best bet. Money is not a huge issue, but it seems like the space savings is probably the clincher, as long as the imac is still quite fast.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you're not doing anything hardcore then the iMac will be more than adequate for you. Just remmeber to max it out with RAM, that will give you the quick OS X performance that you're looking for. Just don't buy RAM from Apple, their mark-up on it is atrocious.

8. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Another vote for the iMac

I find that mine can handle everything I throw at it, and my work is much more intense than what you described. In a year or so, I will switch back to a tower, but for now the iMac is performing very well.

9. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

When you say max it out, do you really mean get 2gb? Is that a major (or even a noticeable) performance increase over 1gb?

10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

You should get the 17" 2.0GHz iMac w/Superdrive. Full power while still compact. Toss in a 1GB RAM stick from Crucial for $133 and you will have a pretty good monster in your dorm. With the 512MB that it comes standard with, 1.5GB will be good enough.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Powermac always for the pro period. I got a Quicksilver I with upgrades that can still hang with a new Imac. Powermacs are 5 plus year machines, Imacs are not. They should just call Powermac ProMac. If you would have told me my Quicksilver I was still going to be " current " 4+ years ago i would have told you you are crazy. Powermacs give you many many options and last forever. Heck i may still throw in a new video card to get it "better" maybe a 9800? still better then imacs 9600 :D or how about a dual 1.8 G4? see what i mean? Imacs are great consumer machines, Powermacs are great Professional machines. enough said.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You'd be surprised actually! As for 2GB, no, I didn't mean 2 GB necessarily, but I would recommend sticking a 1 GB module in to bring it up to 1.5 GB.

13. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

You may want to look at this just to push you away from the 1.8GHz G5 right now.
    If you do go for PM then get a dual-chip one.
    The iMac G5 is a lot smaller - (college rooms and all) and Damn impressive!
    I wanna get a PM!