iMac G5 w/ no optical?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

If you look in the Apple Refurb store you will see a 1.6ghz iMac w/ no optical drive included. They never offered such a machine for sale new did they? Why would they refurb something and not replace the drive if it were faulty? Seems odd.

I assume that the case would still have a slot for the discs to go into, I wonder if you could buy a replacement drive to go in there... The price is good on these, $949 for a system that is otherwise the same as the $1300 base imac G5. Would be a particularly good deal for someone who was upgrading from an older machine and has an external DVD-RW already...

Rob

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I think it was sold as an education machine - no drive so that the kids can't play around with it - loading dodgy software onto it. At least that's my understanding.

3. debo macrumors regular

4. H&Kie macrumors regular

I know Apple sold various models iMacs and eMacs signed "NO CD" and/or "NO MODEM". In networks these machines seem te funcion pretty well as workstations. And, again, less risk of unwanted software/files on them.
    Believe me, that's not just a need in educational situations ;)

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

it was funny....the first iMac i saw in person was at the NOLS mexico branch outside of Loreto (after 3 months of no Macrumors, mind you). It inded was one of these optical drive-free models, and took me at least 5 minutes to figure it out. "I know it's here somewhere.... i'm sure it's on this side panel here..... maybe it got moved when i was gone....". They exist!!