iMac G5 w/ no optical?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    If you look in the Apple Refurb store you will see a 1.6ghz iMac w/ no optical drive included. They never offered such a machine for sale new did they? Why would they refurb something and not replace the drive if it were faulty? Seems odd.

I assume that the case would still have a slot for the discs to go into, I wonder if you could buy a replacement drive to go in there... The price is good on these, $949 for a system that is otherwise the same as the $1300 base imac G5. Would be a particularly good deal for someone who was upgrading from an older machine and has an external DVD-RW already...

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    I think it was sold as an education machine - no drive so that the kids can't play around with it - loading dodgy software onto it. At least that's my understanding.
  3. debo macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2004
  4. H&Kie macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2004
    I know Apple sold various models iMacs and eMacs signed "NO CD" and/or "NO MODEM". In networks these machines seem te funcion pretty well as workstations. And, again, less risk of unwanted software/files on them.
    Believe me, that's not just a need in educational situations ;)
  5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    it was funny....the first iMac i saw in person was at the NOLS mexico branch outside of Loreto (after 3 months of no Macrumors, mind you). It inded was one of these optical drive-free models, and took me at least 5 minutes to figure it out. "I know it's here somewhere.... i'm sure it's on this side panel here..... maybe it got moved when i was gone....". They exist!!