iMac G5: wait or buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by msev, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. msev macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    #1
    I've been putting off buying a new iMac for a few months, so a few more weeks wont matter much. I get the education discount, so 20", with "free" ipod mini for $1700 is a pretty good deal. Will something happen at the Paris expo that will significantly effect my decision? Apple has already upgraded and added value by including 512 memory, 2 GHz, 250 gb HD, and dual layer superdrive. What else could they do to enhance the value? Or should I buy before the offer ends on September 24th? Will they ever include or reduce the price of the iSight? I would sell the ipod to buy an iSight. Thanks
     
  2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    #2
    Somehow I don't see the iMac getting updated soon. And if they did update it the only thing I could see them doing is updating the graphics card.
     
  3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

    pdpfilms

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    Location:
    Vermontana
    #3
    I doubt there will be any updates within the next 9 months.

    Its still a relatively fresh line.
     
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #4
    Don't wait on the iMac, but not so sure about the iSight. I can't imagine it'll be updated all that soon, but you never know... :)
     
  5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

    DeSnousa

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    #5
    Want more better value, you forgot that airport and bluetooth are standard ;) I doubt it will get updated until mid next year. I think a great way of telling is by the Powermac. If the speeds of the iMac are pretty high compared to the Powermac, no update. In which they are at the moment.
     
  6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

    gwuMACaddict

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    washington dc
    #6
    buy it, i can't stop raving about my new 20inch 2.0

    they won't upgrade them soon enough to make it worth your time to wait
     
  7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Location:
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    #7
    Buy it, I just bought my iMac and I'm glad I didn't wait plus I got the iPod as well so what a deal :D
     
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

    devilot

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    #8
    congrats! Is this a replacement for your poor iBook? If I recall correctly, you had wanted an iMac G5 all along, right?
     
  9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Location:
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    #9
    Yes thank you it is a replacement along with an iBook. Since I hurt my back I forgot about a check for my gas/driving miles that came in the mail just a day before my ins. check for the stolen iBook, so with that added check I bought my girlfriend the iBook and the iMac for me :D As for the iPod well I gave that to her also since I can't get back into school until January so she may just as well enjoy ;)
     
  10. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #10
    I was struggling with this decision, too; love the upgraded features on the 20" 2.0 but a local community college bookstore is selling the previous 20" 1.8ghz iMacs for only $1099! wow. very tempting, even with its notorious reputation for bulging capacitors, exploding power supplies and all ...
     
  11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #11
    Msev--

    If you need it, just buy it. I think it is a brilliant all in one solution as it stands. I just got one yesterday--a new 20." It is a stunning machine.

    The Macrumors buying guide is neutral, saying it is mid product cycle. You could wait forever, and it seems unlikely that the next bump will be as well regarded as the upgrade to the current models.

    So here is one vote for buying it. I think it very unlikely the iMacs would be upgraded after the start of the school year, and so very unlikely anything would happen at the Paris Expo.

    Best,

    Bob
     
  12. brant macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Location:
    Tigard, OR
    #12
    iMac G5 purchase

    I have decided to buy my first mac. I am going to get a 20" iMac G5. According to the macrumors buyer's guide there might be updates in 2 months. What does everybody think? I don't mind waiting 2 months but I don't want to wait 1 year for the Intel machines.

    I am sure everybody is tired of these buy or wait questions, but it is a big purchase.

    Thanks
     
  13. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

    vouder17

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2003
    Location:
    Home
    #13
    i sincerely DOUBT this!! The imac G4 and partial iMac G5 stuck with the Geforce 5200 for god knows how long. They have just updated the Card to ATI 9600, so my guess is that we should get used to this card for a while to come.
    The iMac now is a really really good buy. If i didn't need the portability i would buy this iMac hands down!

    Peace Out
    DjVoTeZ
     
  14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #14
    A possibility is they sort out the crippled FSB. It's only running at a third of the processor speed unlike the Power Macs.
     

Share This Page