imac G5 waiting now 7-10 bus. days, Is this Normal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Superhob, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Superhob macrumors regular

I've been contemplating buying a 20" iMac and the wait time has been "same business day" for the last couple of weeks, however, this morning it says "7-10 business days" on all the imacs. Is this normal part of inventory control, etc. or does this signal a possible update soon???

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The shipping status changed yesterday evening actually. It's normally a sign that an update is coming within that time frame. The exact same thing happened with the PowerBooks back in January. Looks like we may have a big week coming either next week or the week after. Word is that the iPod minis will see a refresh during this time frame as well.

3. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

They are going to update the iMAc before they update the very dated PM's? Yeah Apple, that makes sense.

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

No way... this soon? That's... that's.................... SHOCKING in a good way. :D I can feel it. This topic is about to go haywire. lol ;)

What's odd is that we haven't seen any rumors about the iMac getting updated this soon.

I don't want to get overly optimistic because I don't want to be let down, but what other factor would cause this 7-10 day shiptime?

Edit: Could it just be that their inventory is low? Is Apple out of RAM? LCDs? lol...

But how incredibly rare would that be? I've never seen that happen before. What explanations are there besides updated iMacs coming soon? Someone throw out another reason to cause doubt in our minds. LOL

2nd Edit: Here's an idea: Did Apple's webmaster make a "typo"? ;)

5. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Check the Buyers Guide tab on MR ...

Product: iMac

Last Release: August 31, 2004
    Days Since Update: 170 (Average = 193)
    Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
    Special Notes: none.

('special notes' last updated on September 06, 2004)

Seems to be about time for an update.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I would not be surprised if its updated in March, since Apple is extending its product refresh cycles, look at the PowerMac. :)

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm surprised that this could be happening before a Powermac update, but stranger things have happened from Apple.

8. SteveC macrumors 6502

I thought this topic would take off even faster than it has, but it's coming around now. So, you guys think it's true that this definitely signals an update coming very soon, and it's not just some inventory-related shipping delay?

Bring on the "spec predictions." :cool:

I can easily see:

Speeds bumped to 1.8GHz, 2.0GHz, and 2.0GHz
    RAM bumped to 512 MB across the board
    iLife '05 standard
    Same GPUs (MAYBE a better one in the high end model), same HD specs, same prices

Am I being too undaring in my guesses? :p

Here are the current specs, for history-checking purposes:
    $1299 iMac:
    17-inch widescreen LCD
    1.6GHz PowerPC G5
    512K L2 cache
    533MHz frontside bus
    256MB DDR400 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    64MB DDR video memory
    80GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load Combo Drive

$1499:
    1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    600MHz frontside bus
    Slot-load SuperDrive

$1899:
    Same as $1499 model but:
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    20-inch widescreen LCD

9. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Surely Bluetooth 2 as well ...

10. Trout74 macrumors 6502

I read about this on Applenova as well, but I dont understand one thing.

1. Why does a longer shipping time mean an update is comming? They should still have the same amount of current product in the pipeline?

please explain :confused:

trout

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

64 mb fx5200 is getting a little long in tooth isnt it? Doesnt iMac deserve a little better then a $20 video chip? I think it does but apple is selling the same low end in powermacs so who knows. They most likely will give it a Fx5200 128 mb :rolleyes:

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I think you're pretty close. I'm definitely hoping for an ATI Radeon 9600 myself (at least in the 2 SuperDrive models), but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

13. Superhob thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. Speed bumps and faster superdrive aren't as important as an improved GPU. If they just upgrade the GPU and lower the prices a bit, then that would great.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess it has something to do with ramping up production lines for the new models. During that time period, the production rate for the old models suffers. Also, they want to be careful not to have excess inventory of old models when the new models are released, so they slow production rates.

15. Trout74 macrumors 6502

Noticed something else interesting, if you go to the Refurbished page the price of the iMac's has been lowered by 100$ as bestI can tell. Thought it was 1799 for a 20" iMac... now 1699.

trout

16. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I too am hoping for a ATI 9600 GPU w/ 128MB over the existing GeForce 5200w/ 64MB. They can both be passively cooled unlike the 6600's that some people are predicting. I think the 9600 is the next logical step and it will cost a minimal amount more to include.

The other thing I am hoping for is improved SATA performance. Currently, there is something screwy with the disk benchmarks on the iMac G5. It scores lower than the eMac, iMac G4, and all G4 PowerMacs. Pretty much it gets beat by every Apple made in the last 3 years with a 3.5" drive in regards to hard drive performance. 512MB across the board would be nice as would bluetooth 2 and 8x DL superdrives.

Also, are the current iMac displays 8-bit or 6-bit? I know that the 20" iMac is using the same panel as the previous 20" cinema display so does anyone know if it was 8-bit or not? Also, what is the response time of that 20" panel?

17. Trout74 macrumors 6502

actually, the 20" display is 1-3 days shipping and the other two are same business day.............hmmmmmmm...

18. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

They have been $1699 for some time now.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm not usually one to criticize because any upgrade is a good upgrade, but that would probably be the most underwhelming update in the history of Apple Computer. What the imac needs is a new GPU. The 5200 is a joke in a computer of that price. 200 mhz speed bumps would be ok, but certainly not exciting. RAM being upped to 512 is pretty much mandatory IMO because OS X can not and will not run run as it should with 256.

Though as long as they drop the prices it would be hard to complain since we would be getting more for less...

20. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I do not see Apple going with anything greater than 2.0GHz in the iMac until the PowerMac is upgraded.

21. SteveC macrumors 6502

Are you saying you're expecting to see something like a 2.5GHz iMac? (Because that's not gonna' happen. :p ) I know, for example, on some of the PowerBooks, Apple just released 170MHz upgrades. (1330-1500). If the iMacs are bumped from 1.6 to 1.8 and 1.8 to 2.0, that would be 200MHz - slightly more than the PBs got bumped.

22. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

If apple updates them to 2 GHz then how are they going to make the POWERbooks faster then them eventualy becasue of the heating issues? I think if they do apple may see themselfs in a pickle. (but the iMacs are already faster... but the powerbooks get the G5's in them)

23. auxplage macrumors 6502

Is it inconceivable to think about a 23 inch iMac (if not now later)? Also, Superdrives could appear in all models (though I hightly doubt it). 2.3 ghz may not be too much of a dream if we see 2.0 ghz in the base 17 inch. (Just some thoughts)

24. SteveC macrumors 6502

No one said Apple has to make the PowerBooks faster than the iMacs. :) The iMacs are already much faster as it is. ;) There are no "rules." :) They could make the iMacs 5GHz (if they had the technology and capability) regardless of what the PBs are. That's not an issue.

25. SteveC macrumors 6502

Interesting thought. Imagine the price of a 23 inch.

On the drives, I still think we'll see Combos on the low-end options for some time.