iMac G5 - what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paulman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. paulman macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    I realise that this might be repeating what other have already posted but... (I have searched the boards quite far back though!)

After seeing the iMacs and demo-ing them today I have decided that they are better for me than an iBook (forgot how annoying laptop keyboards are!)

However, which configuration to get:

I will use the iMac for: Watching films (audio through hifi), appleworks, internet (sometimes), garageband, iTunes. I probably won't be using iMovie but might use iPhoto if I can be bothered to scan all my travelling photos (theres hundreds!).

Is the 20" screen better quality (as in I would notice the difference on Lord of the Rings right down to Frasier)?

Is the 200mhz jump between 1.6 and 1.8 noticeable for what I'll be using it for?

Will the Regent Street store fit RAM bought elsewhere on the day of purchase or is it really easy to fit more RAM?

Can I plug my PS2 into the imac therefore dispensing with my TV?

Is wireless worth it?
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Yes. The 20" is significantly nicer - brighter, and has a better viewing angle, as well as being roughly 30% larger.

Since you'll be buying the 20", that decision isn't necessary ;)

Can't answer for sure, but they might. I think it's fairly easy to add on your own, though, if you're reasonably comfortable opening a computer.

Depends. If you don't get wireless, will you need to run ugly ethernet wiring along the floor? Do you plan on moving the iMac around a lot? Do you have the extra couple hundred (US) to spend on the Airport card and wireless base station/router? Personally, I don't think it's worth it unless you answered "yes" to those questions. You could get bluetooth/airport installed now and just not buy the peripherals until later.
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I can answer some of your questions:

You mean better than the 17-incher? I don't think so, but I don't really know.
    No, hard drive speed is more important for you w/garageband
    don't think so/yes.
    Don't think so.
    As in wireless internet--airport express? Not for an iMac, unless you'll be moving it around a lot. Bluetooth might be worth it to you. My wife has a BT keyboard and mouse and LOVES it -- really decreases clutter on her desk.
  4. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    The 20" is a much better quality screen, the main difference is the viewing angles on them. The 17" only has a 120°/90° H/V viewing angle, wheras the 20" is 170°/170° H/V.

I doubt you'd notice much difference between them for what you're doing.

No idea, but it's simple to install RAM in the new iMacs; you unscrew 3 screws, lift the back up, and the RAM is easily accessible.

Yes, if you buy one of the new EyeTV Wonder USB2.0 tuners. The best input is only s-video, but it's the only device that will work for games.

If you're talking about keyboard and mouse; yes! However I would strongly suggest you buy some high capacity, fast-charge batteries to go with them, or you'll be spending a fortune on batteries.

I would recommend these, with this charger. (you need 6xAAs, and it's always good to have two spare for the mouse, even if they are fast-charge)

If you're talking about Airport Extreme; it depends how you have things set up. As it's a desktop, it should generally be in a fixed position, so ethernet should be fine; however it just depends on whether you'll have a long ethernet cable trailing around the place.
  5. Benj macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2004
    The viewing angle will make the 20" much better for you if you want to watch films as you won't have to sit directly in front.

I put some more RAM in yesterday - not particularly hard. You have to push firmer than you think is safe but it takes no time. You can also install the airport card (make sure you push the aerial right in) very easily yourself if you decide you want wireless later on.
  6. SteveZissou macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2005
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    I just wanted to say go for the 20"!
    I was in exactly the same position but once I say the 20" with my own two eyes there was no question in my mind.
    Pay the extra money you won't regret it! I love my computer.
    As for the wireless options, I had the airport card installed, but unless you are planning on getting an airport express to stream music I can't see any reason to have it on a desktop machine.
    But bluetooth is a different matter, I had to cheap out somewhere (i upgraded ram, airport card, etc.) so I didn't get the bluetooth, but now I kind of wish I had!
    Anyways my 2¢, but I just wanted to say you won't be disappointed, the 20" is a beauty
  7. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I got an iMac pre-Mac mini and pre-ADC price reductions.

If I was in the market right now I'd seriously be looking at a 20" display and 1.4Ghz mini.

This'll give you a great upgrade route to a PM should you want it or if you never need that power the next gen mini's.

I could be wrong but it should also take a HDTV input when they become available from SKY next year.
  8. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004

Sky HDTV ???? where did you hear about this and what over details do you have ?
  9. shuurajou macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2005
    Bristol, England.
    The price to have bluetooth fitted is quite alot considering you can pick up USB Bluetooth dongle for cheap right now. I just picked up a Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle, popped it in the back, the bluetooth logo appeared a moment later. Easy as pie :).
  10. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    If you are going to spend over $1900 on a computer, I would spend the extra $180 for Airport, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It's just too sexy having no wires (except for power). If you need to save money, get the 17". Otherwise, impress your friends and go wireless.

11. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    SKY's HD broadcasts start in 2006. They opted for a encryption system that'll require DVI that's compatible, not all will be even those sold at the moment by SKY and with their own branding.

What the content will be I don't know but the BBC are already filming their sporting events in HD just not broadcasting yet.

Articles are in the latest UK Home cinema world or something.
  12. paulman thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks for all the help guys! Still haven't decided yet though! Probably have to get the 17" unless the price drops soon (unlikely) since the 20" is more expensive and I won't be using the superdrive.

Also, any ideas on updates to the iMac this year?
  13. chrisblore macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
    Essex, UK
    I'm hoping they may change the graphics chip from the somewhat dated FX 5200 but I somehow doubt this is going to happen, given that the graphics cards used in the basemodel Powermacs that are not too different from those in the iMacs.

Other than that, I reckon there may be a speedbump in the summer to perhaps 2.2GHz and 2.0GHz, depending on how the Powermac updates are going (Apple doesn't want to make the consumer-level product too close to the professional one in order to maintain sales of the latter).