iMac G5 whining, whining....what to do?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlmightyG5, May 4, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Ok...I have an iMac G5 rev B. I have had it since july and it is still under 1 year warrenty. For the past month I have noticed that the iMac gets very loud when I have it running for over 5 min. It used to only whine when I would have a bunch of stuff open but now, I can have no apps open and it will whine like it is encoding a video or something. I can hear the whine when i walk up the stars to my room which is at least a 25 foot distance. I just want to know If Apple will help me out here and realize that maybe my iMac is running to hot or something. Do I have a chance?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Call AppleCare.

If you have a mic or an iSight, you may wanna make a QT "movie" of the sound in advance. If you have an Apple Store nearby, make an appointment for the retard...err...Genius Bar. :D

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you referring to an actual "whine" (like with the MBPs), or just that fans rotating more than usual?

Actually, I've noticed the same thing recently, my fans are going much faster than normal and I don't know why (it used to be virtually silent, and now I can hear it across the room).

The only apps I have open are iChat and Safari and the fans are going at almost 3000 rpm (says miniStat2).

Maybe the last OS update changed something. :confused:

edit: I'm talking about the iMac in my sig BTW

4. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to call AppleCare...but they are just going to tell me to put CPU to reduced...and I don't want to do that! Its just unbearable. My parents walk out of there room which is almost 20 feet away and my mom asks me why the heck my computer is whining so much.

5. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...lol, tell me if this is abnormal....According to miniStat2, My CPU is at 74.3 C and about 165 F. My CPU Fan is at 5600 RPM. I was reading people complaining that there iMac was loud and their fans were 3000 RPM!

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, that is VERY abnormal. Under a normal load (Safari, iChat, and iTunes) my Rev. B iMac rarely goes over 2500 rpms on the fans. It'll usually max out around 5200 rpms if I'm encoding video or gaming.

145-155 F is normal operating temperatures with 170 F being the high end under 100% load. Have you ever cleaned out your fans for dust? Do you live in a dusty environment?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, that is WAY to high (look at me, I'm saying 3000 is too high). :p

8. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok This is what I'm At:
    -High CPU settings in System Pref.
    -Mail, Safari, and iTunes open.
    -CPU 163 F and 74 C.
    -CPU Fan 5600 RPM (miniStat2)
    -HD at 123 F and 51 C.

I think I'll call Apple tommarow and give them this info and make a recording.

If anyone here has a iMac G5 Rev B...Load up just Safari, Mail, and iTunes. Downlaod miniStat2 (link in above posts). And tell me what you get as info from miniStat2.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

My Dual 2.7 runs at 134 all day long.

Yours is awful hot.

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have a rev.a imac g5 and have the same exact problem. Apple has yet to offer a solution.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

AlmightyG5, have you tried restarting? What about setting your performance for Automatic?

Not so much for an iMac. If you are set on high it will average about 155-160 F, but considering his fans are going that fast it should be lower.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How fast are your fans going? I know mine are definitely louder than they used to be, but it isn't that bad.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have Safari, iTunes, and iChat open (I don't have mail set up) and I'm getting 149 F (65 C) and 2600 rpm. (processor set for automatic)

14. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok Just closed mail and iTunes...just Safari open to type this. Set the CPU usage to Automatic and the CPU is still and 163 F and 5600 RPM fan....Tying Restart right now. Brb.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just to ensure miniStat2 is doing it's job properly, try downloading iStat Pro and make sure it is giving you similar read-outs.

16. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok Just restarted...When the desktop appeared I reopened Safari, Mail and iTunes. CPU on Automatic. miniStat2 says CPU 160 F and 4000 RPM. The fans are not as load as they were before restart but they are increasing as I type.

17. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, iStat Pro has exact readings as miniStat2.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

My last idea...

Check Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities), what is your Processor usage (with those apps open it should be relatively low). You can also look and see if any application is using an extreme amount of Processor or memory.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OK, maybe one more...

Are your vents clear? Can you feel a lot of air coming out from the top? If you had something obstructing this it would explain the high fan speed accompanied with a hot processor.

...Just a thought.

20. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...Activity Moniter show between 5-11 User % and System % is about 3-9.

Idle between 80-92 %.

iStat Pro giving similar readings.

21. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, back is clear...

22. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you guys think that Apple will give a hoot?

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you hoot loud enough. ;)

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I hope so... maybe they'll swap out my 20" rev. B iMac. :p