Imac G5 won't boot?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dagogo, Nov 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My 17" ALS Imac is not booting (tiger OS).
    I will preface this by stating the hard drive has been whining and making a lot of noise for the past year or two.
    Anyway, a few days ago it froze up and I had to pull the power plug. I tried to restart and got a plain gray screen and saw a question mark.
    Now when I try to retsart I get a plain gray screen with the following message:

Invalid memory access at: 0SRRO: (then a long address)
    WELCOME TO OPEN FIRMWARE
    To continue booting type "mac-boot"
    To shut down type "shut down"

After I type mac-boot the hard drive (or cd drive?) starts racing quite loudly and then it freezes up and displays a grayish screen with dozens of short, yellowish, horizontal lines and I have to pull the plug again.

I have been anticipating a hard driver failure for a while so at first assumed that was the problem, but now I see this memory error and am not so sure.

I was planning to purchase a 1 TB drive and maybe upgrade the OS at the same time . Basically I am wondering if I should go ahead and do this or run some additional diagnostics first in case it's something else? Thanks for any input.

2. macrumors member

Do you still have the original discs, which include Apple Hardware Test?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I should still have them somewhere...

4. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, see if you can find those discs.

Memory issues apparently. Did you try pulling out the RAM?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll look for them when I get home.
    I suppose they have some sort of diagnostics?

I added more memory about a years ago and I still have the old 512 stick that I replaced with a GB stick. I could switch those out too.