iMac G5 won't sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mauly, Jan 29, 2006.

1. mauly macrumors 6502

My Mac has all of a sudden stoped going to sleep automatically! It can be put to sleep manually tho! :confused:

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

A number of things could stop it from sleeping. Check what programs you are leaving running, see if any of them are recording/playing/whatnot.

3. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, thought of that.... have turned everything off, still no sleep!

4. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

5. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

As I've not got a reply! does this mean its a hardware fault?

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

First, calm down. Second, there might be a background process running somewhere keeping it from sleep. Have you checked the settings to make sure they haven't gotten borked?

7. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

I drove myself crazy for weeks trying to figure out why my Powerbook all of a sudden wouldn't sleep on it's own. Finally came to something really dumb - Internet Connection Sharing (DHCP) was turned on in the Sharing preferences.

8. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

think so! have checked everything made sure nothing was running and even repaired permissions etc

9. CompUser Guest

I have a PowerBook and I had the same problem. I made sure nothing else was running, reinstalled the OS 2309423094 times, and called apple many times. After sending it into apple 4 times and going to the genius, I was fed up. One time they did replace the "sleep switch" but thats for the LCD closing.

I called apple, furious, and they agreed to replace it.

As for you I have no idea. Try reinstalling the OS. Thats the only thing I can think of.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Really dumb question, but have you verified that the settings in the System Preferences panel haven't been changed?

Also, I assume this happens even if the Mac is off the network? If not, is someone mounting a disk remotely?

Finally, if you create a guest/dummy account, log in with that (and with no one else logged in), set up sleep prefs to sleep after, say, a minute, does that work? If so, you know you're not dealing with a hardware problem.