iMac G5 Won't Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Phatpat, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

My 1st Gen iMac G5 won't sleep. Seems like a power supply issue, but I'm not sure (and where would I get a replacement?). When I tell it to sleep, it just shuts down. Any ideas?

2. twistmac macrumors member

twistmac

I had the same problem on mine. It's a power supply problem, you'll have to take it to an AASP and get it replaced.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm having the same problem here. Its seems like it began when I updated to 10.4.7.
    When I press the power button the computer will restart instead of sleeping. It also does this if I click sleep.

Do you know how much the replacement costs out of warranty?

4. twistmac macrumors member

twistmac

It was about $150 if I remember correctly. They thought it was the logic board at first though which was a lot more, so at least it's just a power supply.

5. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Thanks for the response, that answers it. I'll look into how much it costs, but I might just let it be, as long as it continues to power on/off just fine.

6. Alonzo1 macrumors member

I have an iMac G5 and it shuts down when I put it to sleep. I did the hardware test and everything was fine. But you guys are saying this is a problem with the power supply?

7. memphismac macrumors member

I've had some sleep issues with my iMac G5 as well. I described the issue to the Geniuses at the store, who guessed it was blown capacitors. One look at it, and they're correct.

If it's a Rev. A iMac, it's a known issue and you can take it in for a new logic board at no cost.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181