iMac G5 Wont Sleep

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Josh, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I have an iMac G5 17" that will not put itself to sleep.

If I press the power button, it will go to sleep just fine.

But if I set it to go to sleep after an hour of inactivity, the display will go to sleep, but not the entire mac.

Even when I set a schedule for my mac to go to sleep at 2:00am every night, I still wake up to find it blowing and whirring - wide awake.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

2. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

No one knows what might be causing my iMac to not sleep?

I set the schedule for it to sleep at 1:00 am last night, and I sat there watching it from 12:56am until 1, and it never even hinted at falling a sleep.

Would being connected to the internet stop it from sleeping? I know when I press the power button to sleep it, it disconnects before sleeping. I dont see why this would cause a problem though.

3. bubbamac macrumors 6502

There's another thread on this, regarding a PowerBook.

I've had the same problem with my PB, and I found that after taking Virex out of the Startup Items, and not running it, my PB went to sleep on its own. I've put Virex back in the Startup Items, but have consistenly forgotten to test the auto-sleep thingy. I'm so used to <Power> - <S> that I do it automatically when I get up.

I found no noticible speed increase with Virex disabled - that's why it's back in.