Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I have a iMac G5 that I need to reinstall the OS on. My kids deleted some files and I cannot reboot the machine. It hangs on the apple logo. I know hardware is good. I have my original OS X disc. But since I can't boot the machine I am not sure how to reinstall the OS?

What are my options to get the OS installed?

Cheers.

Edit > Sorry for the title I hit submit too quick.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
You can boot from disc.

Option-Command-Shift-Delete while booting should allow you to boot from a different target.

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
I think you need to turn the computer off.

When you turn the computer back on...immediately hold down the option key. I think you will then be able to get your OS disc into your computer and get to the disk utility in the utility menu. You will then be able to erase and install.

I think. Someone should confirm this.

Good luck,

Darren

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
No luck with that. Still only get the apple logo. I never get the loading spinner at all either. What would a person do if they needed to put in a new HD. How would they get a new copy of the OS on it?

Thanks!

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Okay, holding down Option and booting got me a purple screen that hs Mac HD, Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and Apple Hardare Test icons. I think I might have what I need to boot from disc and get a fresh install going.

I will post back in a few...

Cheers!

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Okay, I am still stuck. I did the Option reboot. Can the install of the OS again and it restarted after about 30 minutes of the installation. But same thing. Boots and hangs at the Apple screen. No rotation loading icon.

I rebooted with the Option pressed again. Ran a hardware check and good to go. Reboot still stalling at the apple logo. Rebooted again. This time I connected a firewire cable from my Macbook Pro and loaded the iMac G5 as a slave. I can see the hard drive and the new install on it.

Here is my questions. If I delete everything I see when I have my iMac connected as a slave will I still be able to to the Option boot and another fresh install?

Something that is still here has to be jacking up the boot.

What is the process if I had a brand new hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
First, copy any file on the iMac you want to keep. The following procedure will erase everything on the hard drive.

Boot from the installation disc. Click through the wizard like before. When you get to the volumes section (shows a hard drive icon), click on the Options button that appears on the bottom left-hand side. This time (instead of using the Archive and Install option) select Erase and Install. Click OK and start the installation. This should remedy the issue if its software related.

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Okay, trying this now. I did not see this option before but I was not looking either. Please come back and look for an update....

Cheers

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Okay, trying this now. I did not see this option before but I was not looking either. Please come back and look for an update....

Cheers
Sure thing. The Options button is easy to miss, it would be better if they asked you what kind of installation you wanted to do by default.

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I just want a new fresh install at this point. I have an old Power Mac G5 and just bought a MacBook Pro. Giving the iMac G5 to the wife as soon as I can get it up and running again.

About 57% so far on the install. Looking for my disc #2. Let's hope I can find it. Doh!

Cheers.

Husar@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
It took me forever to find my second install CD. But I found it and all is good with a fresh install.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.